Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

So, How's Braveheart

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-00, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't picked this one up yet, so I was wondering if I am in for a treat or not.

Is the transfer good? how does it sound? is the layer change the same as the VHS tape switch?
Old 08-31-00, 07:07 PM

I love this movie. But I am a little disappointed because it has little dots here and there on the screen (I have a 53" big screen") when I watch my dvd. But the disk has no scratches at all. Does any one has the same expereince ?
Old 08-31-00, 08:13 PM

I think it is a beautiful transfer. Very, very detailed. I thought the colors were spot on dead accurate for this type of movie. The only issue with it is the dirty print that was used which creates little bitty black specs every now and again. It doesn't take away from the film at all it just keeps it from being a reference quality picture. I am still amazed at the amazing detail the dvd has, sure I would have loved them to have cleaned up the print but aside from the occasional minor spec the picture is top notch. There are some scenes that are so sharp they almost have a 3D look to them.

As far as the audio portion goes. AMAZING! I personally think it is perfect. Nice subtle surround effects and an impressive use of the .1 channel. Your sub will get a workout during this film. Also, the sound effects during the battles scenes are flawless, you realy see why it got an oscar for sound editing.

I haven't really got a chance to see all of the special features yet but I have listened to parts of the commentary and found it to be very nicely done. It is as if Mel is setting beside you pointing out things as you both watch this wonderful piece of work.

Overall, it is probably my favorite movie of all time (top 5 anyway) and this DVD is now one of my favorites. Could it have been better? Yes, Paramount could have and should have cleaned up the print. But aside from the very miniscule specs I found the transfer very appealing.

FWIW, my grades

Video A- (not an A or A+ just because the print should have been cleaner)

Audio A (I'm telling you, this is one impressive sounding DVD)

Extras I (Incomplete, haven't been able to watch the documentary yet and have only touched the surface of the commentary)

Overall A (Just happy to finally have this movie in my collection, while the print is somewhat dirty, the quality of the transfer is top notch. Sound is very impressive, you will sware that the calvary is riding through your living room)

All of this is of course IMHO.

wrath
Old 09-01-00, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
at the price i paid for it. 9.99, i would rate that.. i will give it a 9.9 why not a perfect 10? well i wanted to see a little more extras. but still. GREAT DAMN DVD!!!
get it.
Old 09-01-00, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The overall transfer is great...the sound is as good as the laserdisc version which was also dolby digital!!!! Just started watching the making of featurette and then will be listening to the commentary....the extras are what make this version of Braveheart the best!!!! The laserdisc transfer was very good...it just did not have any extras on it.
Old 09-01-00, 03:20 AM

Worth ever single cent... run and buy it if you even remotely like the movie...
Old 09-03-00, 06:20 PM

I agree with everyone on the amazing quality of the sound quality transfer. I think the picture did amazingly well also, although I did see a few spots as mentioned above. The only gripe (well who can really gripe about this movie) is the commentary. I absolutely cherish the commentarys to most movies, and this one fell a bit short I thought. What Mel Gibson says IS very interesting, but I wish he would have given just a little more insight to several scenes. Any one else feel the same way?
Old 09-03-00, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just buy it.. it is one great movie!
Old 09-03-00, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Turbo2:
I agree with everyone on the amazing quality of the sound quality transfer. I think the picture did amazingly well also, although I did see a few spots as mentioned above. The only gripe (well who can really gripe about this movie) is the commentary. I absolutely cherish the commentarys to most movies, and this one fell a bit short I thought. What Mel Gibson says IS very interesting, but I wish he would have given just a little more insight to several scenes. Any one else feel the same way?<HR>

I agree...Mel seems like he does not have a whole lot to say.....I think I got more out of the making of featurette!!!!