DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Evil Dead II -- LE

Old 08-29-00, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone seen the EDII-LE DVD yet? Eagerly awaiting this one -- it's sort of lost in the shuffle with all the other big releases of 8/29!
Old 08-29-00, 03:39 PM

DVDFile.com and DVDReview.com each have reviews of it.

They were both positive reviews.
Old 08-29-00, 04:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've read the reviews of it at dvdreview.com and horrordvds.com. DVD Review seemed more ecstatic than Horror DVDs, but both gave positive reviews. As for the LE portion of it (i.e., the tin), people have complained about it. They say it's too bulky, and the actual DVD comes in a jewel (CD) case, and that the booklet wasn't all that great. So you may want to stick with the normal release, which has the same disc as the LE, but without all the problems of the tin.

------------------
"All arts can and must wait. They may even wait to live until after the artist is dead. Only the ridiculous costs of cinematography force it to instant success, so it is satisfied with being mere entertainment."
-Jean Cocteau
Old 08-30-00, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The DVD is great. I thought the transfer was very good, but some people have said its a little dark. I wouldn't bother with the LE unless you just want to have a numbered edition. The book and tin are worthless.
Old 08-31-00, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forget about the tin case and the book (personally I think they`re pretty cool). What makes this new edition essential is the extras on the disc itself. Far superior to the old "Evil Dead II" disc. The commentary track is very funny and very entertaining. One of the best I`ve heard. There`s a hysterical documentary called "The Gore the Merrier", which features the short parody film "Evil Dead Baby", which needs to be seen. There is a cool still gallery on the disc, and a preview for the upcoming "Evil Dead" video game. This is a great DVD.
Old 08-31-00, 11:36 PM
Banned by request

Well, I finally got the time to watch the DVD today. It looks great. No bleeding or oversaturated colors, blacks are solid, it's a wonderful transfer. I did notice one or two small marks in the scene where Ash is in the back room of the basement looking for the pages of the book, but that was it in the whole film. The sound was not as good. I found the dialogue was mixed low, while the effects were really loud, forcing me to turn the volume up and down quite a bit.
I haven't heard the commentary yet, but I have not found one person who doesn't like this commentary, so I'm assuming it's gonna be good. The Gore The Merrier is also pretty interesting, I love the idea of Robert Redford watching 6 hours worth of Evil Dead 2 behind the scenes footage. And Evil Dead Baby is almost worth the price of the disc by itself. This is really a must buy. And since everyone seems to hate the tin, I say skip it and just get the keepcase version.

------------------
"All arts can and must wait. They may even wait to live until after the artist is dead. Only the ridiculous costs of cinematography force it to instant success, so it is satisfied with being mere entertainment."
-Jean Cocteau
Old 09-01-00, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the tin, i just got it today. and i think the booklet is really nice IMHO, but either version is cool cause the disc rocks

------------------
"I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!" -- Better Off Dead

In the beginning...there was ATARI!
My ever Increasing DVD list
My massive ADULT DVDS!!!
12 INCHES of LOOOOOOOVE!!!
Old 09-01-00, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Got to listen to the commentary track today and its worth the price of the DVD alone. Great stuff. Now I want to run out and get the Elite Evil Dead, so I can listen to that commentary. Don't think I can wait for the Anchor Bay rerelease.

------------------
"Know what I mean, know what I mean. Nudge, nudge."
DVD Laserdisc
Old 09-02-00, 05:07 AM

Glad to see EDII getting all this attention. I finally received mine a couple of days ago. I like the tin, though it's a little bulky, and I don't have that many Collector's Editions of anything. The DVD itself is great, as I expected it would be.
I'm starting my own DVD page if anyone wants to check it out -- nothing special, just my opinons.

http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/Pri.../movie-dvd.htm
Old 09-02-00, 03:15 PM
Banned by request

quote:<HR>Originally posted by darkside:
Got to listen to the commentary track today and its worth the price of the DVD alone. Great stuff. Now I want to run out and get the Elite Evil Dead, so I can listen to that commentary. Don't think I can wait for the Anchor Bay rerelease.

<HR>

I listened to the commentary track yesterday, it's great. Not my favorite commentary track, but it ranks up there. All I have to say is grab the Elite disc of Evil Dead while you can, it's worth it's weight in gold. The transfer is really good, I can see how Anchor Bay could improve it, but not enough for me to want to go out and replace my Elite disc. Also, the Bruce Campbell commentary is just as good as the ED2 commentary, in my opinion. Some interesting behind the scenes stuff, too. Pick it up while you can.

------------------
-Jean Cocteau