Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review of Invisible Man

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-00, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Just finished going through this one and as usual its another good job by Universal. I did have 1 minor complaint. Despite a good transfer, which does a great job of making the darks very rich, it does have some problems. The negative for this film is not in very good shape. Obviously this is going to happen to 67 year old movies, but with a classic like this Universal should have done some digital restoration. There are major signs of age and wear all through the print. It still doesn't distract from the greatness of this picture, however, and I would have bought the DVD either way. The Invisible Man is another great example of why James Whale was one of the greatest directors in Hollywood during the 30's. The story, acting, and special effects are amazing for a film from 1933. I recommened anyone that likes horror get all 4 of Whale's classic horror films. Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, and The Old Dark House are all available on DVD. Also try to see Showboat and many of Whale's classic Dramas. Back to the Invisible Man. Sound is decent, but could have been remastered to sound better. Why Universal continues to use dual mono tracks I will never understand. Still, considering there is little music in the film the sound quality does the job. It includes yet another great documentary filled with the history of the film and the biggest treat of all is the great audio commentary from Rudy Behlmer. Behlmer is one of my favorites, he has a great sounding voice and his commentaries are always filled with great information. Make sure to add this DVD to you Classic Monster Collection.

[This message has been edited by darkside (edited September 01, 2000).]
Old 09-02-00, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EDIT: Ooops this belonged in the Abbot & Costello thread.....moving...

[This message has been edited by Wolfchild (edited September 01, 2000).]