Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with Billy Joel Live at Yankee Stadium

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Disappointed with Billy Joel Live at Yankee Stadium

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-00, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just received this from buy.com. The audio, 5.1 dolby, seemed fine. What I was disappointed in was the constant changes in video shots, angles, etc. First a shot of Billy Joel, then a few more quick takes of him with changes in angle, shots of the crowd, the stadium, the drummer, a back-up singer, the stage, Billy again, all in fairly fast succession. This occurred during the whole DVD. It seemed more like a music video than a concert. In my opinion this in no way compares with the Fleetwood Mac DVD, John Fogerty, James Taylor, Bee Gees, Sheryl Crow, Yes or even the Blondie DVD in my collection. My two cents.
Old 08-25-00, 01:14 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Another one with similar flaws is the Alanis Morisette Jagged Little Pill DVD.
Old 08-26-00, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
I pretty much agree with you, NE (except I'm a Colts fan )
Here's the review I posted two weeks ago on this forum:
OK, I just got this yesterday (damn slow bestbuy.com). Now for the technical part. The video is not that good. It's OK, on par with broadcast TV performances, but clearly well below the standard of recent concert DVDs (ie James Taylor, Sheryl Crow or Steely Dan). The image is soft and colors appear washed out, but part of this must be the fact that this was an outdoor concert, much more difficult to light well. The video is not helped by the amaturish dirction with constantly moving (and tilting, ugh) camera angles that are truely nasea-inducing. Even more annoying is the almost-constant use of "strobe-effect" and motion blurring, that while it may be fun to watch progected on a big screen at a concert, really sucks when watching a home video.
Much better is the sound, specifically the 5.1 mix. It is very clean and enveloping. I have this concert on a bootleg CD, and though that sounds fine, the difference in night and day. The surround effects are nice and subtle. They don't overpower the front channels (like Steely Dan or Dave Matthews), but they are frequently used, and not just for crowd noise (like far too many DVDs).
I still enjoyed the concert, but the poor video direction really bothered me. Still, if you're a Billy Joel fan, this is recommended; as it's the only concert video available (at least until The Millenium Concert is released, please, please).
One final note. Billy wins the bad taste award for dedicating a song "to one of my childhood heros, Billy Martin" (who died in '89 in a drunk driving accident), and then starts singing "A bottle of white, a bottle of red/ Perhaps a bottle of rose' instead". Very nice, Billy.

Old 08-30-00, 12:14 AM

I rented this DVD from NetFlix and thought that it was AMAZING, the audio was incredible. Much better than the piss-poor mixing done for the Greatest Hits Vol 3 DVD.

I will add this to my list of DVDs to buy.