Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Mother Night: Well worth the wait

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Mother Night: Well worth the wait

Old 08-22-00, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally got my copy of Mother Night yesterday, it's been delayed SEVERAL times since it was first announced. However since the extra time seems to have been put into the features I don't mind waiting For those of you unfamilar w/ the story it is based on a book written by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. It is about a fictional playwrite (played by Nick Nolte) who is living in Germany, with his German wife, right before WW2. For the love of his wife he stays in Germany and during the war he ends up working as part of the German propaganda machine spewing forth anti-semitic rhetoric as the "last free American in Germany". Unbeknowest to the German's though before the war he was recruited as an American spy and his broadcasts are really encoded messages. That's not really the crux of the story though. The bulk of the movie happens after the war when he has returned to America and living in hidding. His wife is thought to be dead, the American Gov't disavows all knowledge of him and as far as everyone is concerned he is a Nazi war criminal. Through a series of events he starts to come to the realization that it is always best to "Be careful what you pretend to be". IMHO it was one of the best sleeper flicks of the mid-90s.

Now on to the DVD. It includes English; 2.0 and 5.1 & French 2.0 soundtracks and English & French subtitles. The picture itself was pretty good, although there were some specks in the source they used No digital artifacts that I saw though. Now as I mentioned the special features were certainly worth the wait. Although it's not part of New Line's "Platinum Series" it certainly could be There are two audio commentaries and a short interview w/ Nick Nolte and Kurt Vonnegut Jr. conducted on the set sometime during the actual filming. There are some deleted scenes w/ commentary, which I haven't watched yet. A little background/historical information is included in the way of various bios and newreel footage of the Eichman trial (the Nazi who was in charge of the concentration camps, he escaped to South America but was eventually caught/tried/hanged). Not to mention various trailers, including some as "easter eggs" littered through the cast/crew bios.

To be honest this movie probably isn't for everyone. It can be a slow moving drama at times, although there is some bizzar humor and a couple of interesting twists added in occasionally. If you are looking for an interesting character study IMHO it's one of the better ones out there. If you are unsure rent it first, but if you like the movie though get the DVD (but you already knew that didn't you ).

[This message has been edited by nemein (edited August 22, 2000).]