Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Anybody seen the Woody Allen "Manhattan" DVD?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Anybody seen the Woody Allen "Manhattan" DVD?

Old 08-21-00, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never seen the movie itself, But I heard it was good and I'll buy the DVD probably if the transfer is nice. (and sound too) Oddly enough, I can't find any reviews of the DVD.
Maybe I keep spelling it wrong...

I have already heard that Allen doesn't like extras included on his Laser Discs, DVDs etc. So all I know is that its bare bones.

------------------
Charles Mingus is alive
and
Alice Coltrane is your mother.
Old 08-21-00, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not wild about the movie itself; I prefer "Annie Hall" and "Love and Death" by far. Anyway, the DVD presents pretty decent picture and sound plus almost no extras, as you already know.

Shameless link to my full review:
http://www.dvdmg.com/manhattan.html

Old 08-22-00, 02:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, Manhattan is my favorite of all of Woody Allen's films, and I have to say the transfer on this is pretty nice. The black and white is bold and well defined, blacks are solid. I did notice some dust marks which were obviously on the source print, not part of the transfer. No artifacts or pixelation evident. The sound is a bit worse. This has to be one of the most unevenly mixed DVDs I have. Then again, I don't have that many DVDs and I just happened to get well mixed ones. It's not so bad, but the music blares out at you, while the dialogue, which is most of the film, is mixed low. Makes for a lot of turning the volume up and down. All in all though, this movie is really a must have, despite the poor sound mix.

------------------
"All arts can and must wait. They may even wait to live until after the artist is dead. Only the ridiculous costs of cinematography force it to instant success, so it is satisfied with being mere entertainment."
-Jean Cocteau