Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Supergirl LE-Review Wanted

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Supergirl LE-Review Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-00, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did a search and came up empty. Please post
a review. Thanks.
Chris
Old 08-20-00, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess nobody wants to admit they bought this movie, despite the fact that I read on DVDfile.com that all 50,000 copies of the LE shipped to retailers. This movie has got some problems, first and foremost being the way over-the-top performances of the villians and the lame love interest for Supergirl, but Helen Slater was very appealing in this role and there are some very well done special effect sequences.

I bought the 2-disc LE and the only thing you get with that you don't get with the single disc version is a second 138 minute director's cut of the movie that an extra 14 minutes added to the international version of the film. The extra 14 minutes in some cases explain some later scenes, but in the end don't really add that much. The first disc has some nice supplements ( a 50-minute featurette, director's commentary, storyboards, etc.) The video and audio are good (anamorphic and 5.1) but not great. I don't think you lose much by owning the single disc version rather than the LE.

From listening to the commentary, you learn that the movie underwent some major rewrites after Christopher Reeve backed out his agreement to appear in several scenes as Superman. I kept thinking that would have been a much more interesting movie to watch.
Old 08-21-00, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
As the above post said, you can get the regular version and not miss out on much. The 14 extra minutes don't really make much difference. The set is well done by AB and the booklet is very cool and has some nice pictures of orignal promo material etc. As far as the movie goes, my wife loved it. She found it very fun and liked Helen Slatter's performance. I hated it and got bored 10 minutes into it. I just felt it was a little too cheesy and it had the feel of something that should have had Joel, Crow, and Tom Servo sitting in the front row making fun of it.
Old 08-21-00, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was reluctant to buy it, but DVDexpress mispriced it, so I figured if I still hate it, i can always sell it to ebays. Well I still, after 14 years, cant figure out why so many people liked it (well recently anyway). It is way too campy, but I am questioning if faye dunaway was acting serious or not (she was so typecasted since MOMMIE DEAREST her acting career took a plunge!). But what a waste of Mia Farrow! And WHY Brenda Vaccaro??!! I liked Maureen Teefy though.

Still baffles me why so many people hated the film for a long time, and just like earler this year everyone seem to think it is great,and some even claimed it is better than SUPERMAN....until the DVD actually came out. Not much buzz since. I say if you do buy it for a good price, hang on to it, it MIGHT go up in price, like ARMY OF DARKNESS, or just get the price you paid for, like HALLOWEEN LT ED DVD, or way less than what you paid for, like NIGHT OF LIVING DEAD LT ED..