DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Leon

Old 08-13-00, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could someone please tell me the difference between The Professional and Leon? I love The Profession and already own it and would like to know if it's worth it to buy Leon. Thanks.
Old 08-13-00, 03:17 PM
Banned

The only difference between the two discs is that Leon has 24 more added minutes to the movie.
Old 08-13-00, 05:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I really love the Professional. That said, I just got Leon and it's like a different movie. The U.S. version is good in it's own way, but this is the international version that fleshes out the story as it was originally intended. If you really like the Professional, then you need to get or at least see Leon. I would also recommend the Big Blue (Director's Cut) that just came out. Another film that was heavily edited in the U.S. If you like other films by the director, you will love this.
Old 08-15-00, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*sigh* not again.. assume assume assume..

To clarify, "The Professional" is THE original version of the the movie.. everywhere.. period. That was Luc Besson's final cut. Nothing was "cut" for US release.. where do people find (or make up) these things?

The new Leon DVD, is what is called "Leon: Integral Version" it was re-edited with the cut footage and released in French theaters in 1996 (2 years after the films original release) mostly as a gift to his fan's. Besson has even been quoted saying he prefer's the original cut of the film..
Old 08-15-00, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the other hand, Big Blue was cut to sh*t for US release.. and rescored..

Another note on The Professional. The movie's title is "Leon".. it is Leon everywhere but America where the film was pushed as a summer action flick "MAKES SPEED LOOK LIKE A SLOW RIDE TO GRANDMAS HOUSE!" the directors cut is called "Leon: Integral Version", and now "Leon: The Professional" which I assume is to being back the original title but to make sure people know what movie it is still.. ^_^

Any Q's about Leon ask me..!!!
Old 08-15-00, 09:10 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by pixyboi:
To clarify, "The Professional" is THE original version of the the movie.. everywhere.. period. That was Luc Besson's final cut. Nothing was "cut" for US release.. where do people find (or make up) these things?
<HR>

That contradicts what I've read. I understood The Professional was re-edited after test audiences objected to the subject matter in a couple of scenes.

I have the Japanese Version Integral disc. It is a far superior version of the film IMO.
Old 08-15-00, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,254 Posts
The IMDB says: "A longer director cut, retitled 'Leon: version integrale' has been re-released in French cinemas on June 26, 1996. This version is 26 minutes longer than the previously release version and features all sequences that were removed from the film after disastrous tests with L.A. preview audiences."

I have no idea if that's accurate.

------------------
My DVD list | My homepage
Old 08-15-00, 10:32 PM

so, is it safe to assume that the US Leon:The Professional DVD is still missing the same scene that the Japanese Integral DVD is missing (where Gary Oldman is threatening the kids).
Old 08-17-00, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes it is missing that scene.. but I don't think it's Columbia's fault. (and I just read on the back "24 minutes cut deemed too explict for american audiacnes?! wtf???)

Basiclly Columbia wanted to do HUGEASS SE release of Leon and Big Blue, but Luc Besson said "naaah dont really care" so there ya go..
Old 08-17-00, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And yes it was re-edited after the test audiance. The final result was what was released world wide. As far as the Directors Cut being "far supieror" that's debatable.. the added scenes really add alot of depth, but at the same time the original cut is much tighter and flows MUCH better..

it really depends on how much you like the original cut, as to how great you will think the directors cut is
Old 08-17-00, 04:19 PM
Banned

Well I liked the original cut and as with most films you really like I wanted to know more about the characters.

The longer cut of Leon gives you exactly that - more character development and explores the relationship between the two better.

SPOILER-ISH

I also think the training scene with the drug dealer is hysterically funny.
Old 08-18-00, 03:42 PM

got the DVD finally. Of all the scenes that they restored, that scene with the kids in the kitchen was the one that I feel should have been restored the most... that's one point where there is obviously something missing. It looks as if they didn't include it because they just decided to use the Japanese DVD transfer instead of re-working it. Would have been nice if they had included the scene in the "special features" section as an extra tho, even if it was off of a rough cut or something.