Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted for: Princess Bride (1987)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted for: Princess Bride (1987)

Old 07-08-00, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed this is ranking #2 on Amazon's best seller list, and is going for only $11.99. I'd never heard of this movie, much less seen it...not paying particular attention to fantasy movies. The comments at Amazon make it sound like it's good on a comedic level. Comments?

------------------
My DVD List
Old 07-09-00, 03:12 AM

I love this movie.
It is one of the true 80's classics.
This movie along with the goonies and willow are some of my most wanted movies.
Highly Recommended
9/10
Old 07-09-00, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is the ultimate fairy tale. A story of true love with Christopher Guest, Andre the Giant, Cary Elwes, Billy Crystal, Carol Kane and directed by Rob Reiner. I would have paid $25.00 for this movie in full screen mono if I had to, so WS at $11.99 is a steal! It's a good movie for kids or adults.

------------------

Hail to the King, Baby!
A man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama" - Derek Smalls
Old 07-09-00, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a very good movie. You are lucky, to still be able to watch it for the first time
Old 07-09-00, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I for one hate this movie. It's just too girly. That's my opinion.

------------------
I am Jack's signature.

My very tiny, but ever-growing DVD list.
Old 07-09-00, 07:49 AM

My name is Diego Montoya, you killed my father. Prepare to die.
Old 07-09-00, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,351 Likes on 916 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Smog:
My name is Diego Montoya, you killed my father. Prepare to die.<HR>

Actually, it's Inigo Montoya.

------------------

My DVD's
Old 07-09-00, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
Incon-THEIV-able!
Old 07-09-00, 04:17 PM

Get it! Can't wait for mine!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by youtoo (edited July 09, 2000).]
Old 07-09-00, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I already ordered my copy, but I was wondering, what are the specs? What is the sound format? (the site I ordered from said mono, but I find that hard to believe) Does it have any extras? I remember hearing about a commentary, once upon a time. Does it have one?
Old 07-09-00, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Calistoga:
I noticed this is ranking #2 on Amazon's best seller list, and is going for only $11.99. I'd never heard of this movie, much less seen it...not paying particular attention to fantasy movies. The comments at Amazon make it sound like it's good on a comedic level. Comments?
<HR>

The guy that said this is "too girly" is weird. This is NOWHERE near a chick flick. It's a comedy/fantasy movie. HIGH on comedy. This is actually one of my favorite movies. The story is basically about a guy who loses his love after he is kidnapped by pirates (not shown), and when he finally returns she is about to marry an evil Prince. The story pretty much revolves around him trying to save the Princess from the evil Prince (and actually some other kidnappers). There are tons of hilarious scenes and quotable lines. Its based on a book, which I've never read, so I can't compare the two.

"Stop rhyming now, I mean it!"
"Does anybody want a peanut?"

Old 07-09-00, 08:49 PM

I like this movie, but its one of those titles where you just want to punch somebody in the face, because they won't stop saying lines from it. Just try having to work side-by-side with a hardcore fan. Just like the real clever people who can't stop quoting Monty Python and Pulp Fiction when something you say can somehow be responded too with "HOLY HANDGRENADES. HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW"
Old 07-09-00, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 559 Posts
i think this movie is a little overhyped on this forum. i remembered liking this movie as a teen-ager but i watched it again the other day & it was not half as funny as i remembered it. i actually found it to move a little slow this time around.

a decent movie, but not a great movie...
Old 07-10-00, 04:32 AM

One of my favorite movies of all time. I just can't say emphatically enough that this is a great movie.
DodgingCars, if you liked the movie, you will also like the book. There are some differences (stuff in the book that wasn't put into the movie), and Goldman's writing style and his presentation is fantastic. You won't be disappointed.
I don't know how this DVD is (haven't received it yet), but i would still love it if it was pan and scan, mono, with no extras.

------------------
My DVDs
Old 07-10-00, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While it is a big favorite, a lot of us here are speaking from fond childhood memories. Similar to how we remember a certain cheesecake as being The Best Cheesecake I've ever tasted in my life. It may not measure up to today's better cheesecakes (or movies) but tasting it, or watching it, will certainly evoke those wonderful happy feelings, laughs and exciting emotions that stirred us in childhood.
Old 07-10-00, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by anali:
While it is a big favorite, a lot of us here are speaking from fond childhood memories. Similar to how we remember a certain cheesecake as being The Best Cheesecake I've ever tasted in my life. It may not measure up to today's better cheesecakes (or movies) but tasting it, or watching it, will certainly evoke those wonderful happy feelings, laughs and exciting emotions that stirred us in childhood.<HR>

actually, I own this on VHS, and have for some time. I am speaking from rather recent memory.

Old 07-10-00, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"While it is a big favorite, a lot of us here are speaking from fond childhood memories"

Well, I have the Criterion Collection laserdisc and have watched it within the past month. THE PRINCESS BRIDE is a wonderful movie with very high "rewatchability". Although AFI didn't think so, I can't imagine a top-100 movie list that didn't include this title...

However, given MGMs latest track record, I'm not sure what the quality of the DVD will be like. For those without LD players, I don't blame you for grabbing it but it certainly doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the CC laserdisc (with commentary and other goodies).

------------------
My DVDs
My LaserDiscs
Old 07-10-00, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You might want to wait for the special edition that is set for late 2001....
Old 07-10-00, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is, without a doubt, my favorite movie.

My family has nearly worn out our VHS copy, so the DVD is already highly anticipated (and, of course, on pre-order). I can understand how some might interpret the enthusiam for this movie as "over-hyping," but in my case, at least, it is not "hyping" at all, and certainly not based on fond childhood memories (since I was already married, and a parent, when it was released).

Robo

------

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Old 07-11-00, 01:10 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by sracer:
Incon-THEIV-able!<HR>

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Old 07-11-00, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

I first saw this movie in undergrad about five years ago, and I fell in love with it then. Sure, some parts (including the whole Fred Savage part) are a bit kidsy, but it was written for kids, after all. Basically, if you can sit through a Di$ney movie, you'll have NO problems with Princess Bride.

- David Stein
Old 07-11-00, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It is not "too girly" but girls will definitely like it. I don't think it was a very big hit on first release. Bad promotion? I don't remember hearing much about it. I first saw it at a friend's house when I was 15. We'd watch it over & over again & laugh hysterically. Wally Shawn is the best! I've watched it many times since then & always enjoy sharing it with people who've never seen it - kids & adults.

This might be the best "fantasy" movie ever. Where Willow & Legend fail, this succeeds. It's not about special effects. It's story & characters & great dialogue. & I love the look of it. This is a near perfect film & I think it will stand the test of time (though it is kind of funny to see the old video game & the He-man figures in the kid's room). Fencing, fighting, true love, humor. It's got everything.

It's also 1 of the best comedies ever & as MonkeyBrains pointed out, maybe a little too quotable.

Anyone have any idea what would be on a special edition? Director commentary? Screenwriter commentary? Maybe a short look back from some of the cast? Are there any outtakes (maybe Billy Crystal?) or behind the scenes footage? I sort of remember Rob Reiner telling a story to Bob Costas about Andre the Giant being drunk in a harness several feet in the air for a long period of time. I'd love the disc to have some remembrances like that.

& the book is as good as the movie. I recommend it to fans. The author also wrote the screenplay & has done some other big name movies but I can't think which. Butch & Sundance? Marathon Man? I'm not sure...
Old 07-13-00, 06:55 PM

Funny stuff. I purchased my copy of The Princess Bride at Wal-mart last week (about the 6th or 7th).

The local Wal-mart is notorious for breaking street date.

Bonus for me! hehe
Old 07-13-00, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Legend failed? News to me... this thing was awesome when I was in the seventh grade!

- David Stein
Old 07-14-00, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Off topic:

quote:<HR>Originally posted by sfsdfd:
Legend failed? News to me... this thing was awesome when I was in the seventh grade!

- David Stein
<HR>

Ok. I probably shouldn't have said that. I'm sure Willow has some strong supporters too. But out of the 3, if any could be called "too girly" I think it would be Legend. I remember all the teenage-wannabe-witch-girls loving this movie. I always wanted to like it but couldn't. I love Tangerine Dream & along with the Bryan Ferry song they made a great soundtrack. Darkness was awesome for the most part except for his bouncing horns when he runs. I kind of like the fairie girl & the look of one of the goblin henchmen. But that's it. The US cut moves too fast. Nothing makes much sense & I don't care for any of the characters (except maybe Darkness). Most of the supporting cast is just annoying, the sets look too much like sets, & I've never liked Tom Cruise. Strangely, I still have some hope for this movie. I know there's a longer European cut & I think a special edition dvd is coming. There's got to be something good in there...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.