Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Purple Storm (HK movie)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Purple Storm (HK movie)

Old 07-19-00, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am interested in buying this movie but haven't seen it. It has 8.7/10 viewer rating from Amazon movie database. I want to know if this movie is watchable more than once.

Thanks
Old 07-21-00, 03:51 PM
Cool New Member

Check here:
www.public.asu.edu/~muldoon/hk/
Old 07-21-00, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's another review from Hong Kong Cinema.

Still awaiting for my copy to arrive(so I can't comment).

------------------
Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.

My Addiction
Old 07-22-00, 05:19 AM

Thanks, JBDomain

The review from HK Cinema was very detailed and interesting. I really hate to buy movies I have never seen before. Maybe, I'll wait and see whenever Netflix.com has it for rent.
Old 07-26-00, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good move! Purple Storm is a rental flick only. Of all the "Hollywood-wannabe" Hong Kong thrillers coming out (Extreme Crisis, Downtown Torpedoes, GenX Cops, etc), this is generally the most successful at emulating the smooth, big budget feel of a Hollywood production. Good cinematography and production values, basically. But I'm sorry to report that it's boring. The action is well done, but far too brief. The rest of the movie is about character and dialogue (amnesiac struggles with police-implanted personality and his own real memories), none of which are particulary interesting. It's not bad, just not at all great either.

That's the feeling I got from the whole film: It's as if the writers and directors are too professional to do a bad job, yet have no interest in doing more than the bare minimum of what's required to make a respectable film. There's little flair or enthusiasm to the proceedings.

So Purple Storm is a good rental flick. Rent it, watch it once, then forget about it. If you want a better latter-day Hollywood-wannabe HK flick, try Big Bullet or the recent 2000 AD. Again, neither has a particularly great script, but you can just tell the directors and actors had a lot of fun doing the film. It makes all the difference in the world (oh yeah, it helps that both are well-paced, too).