Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: Jackie Chan's "Gorgeous"

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews Wanted: Jackie Chan's "Gorgeous"

Old 07-12-00, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could someone please tell me if this movie has a lot of action and good extras? I've never heard of it before but I'm a big Chan fan. Thanks!
Old 07-12-00, 05:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is certainly different than any of his other movies. This one actually attempts to have a plot (a romantic comedy story) and the action scenes are just kind of thrown in, instead of the other way around Speaking of which the action scenes are VERY staged and really kind of break up the flow of the movie Although it was interesting to see Jackie get the snuff beaten out of him

Personally I would say rent it first to see if you like it. I would rent the recent domestic release if you are interested in the commentary (I still haven't listened to that so I can't tell you anything about it). If you like it though I would purchase the HK release. It has about 20 extra mins of footage[1] and the extras (sans the commentary) seem to be the same. One interesting note, even though Jackie speaks passable english now he DID NOT do his own dubbing for the english track on the domestic release Fortunately it has subs and the original Cantonese. The HK release has the usual Cantonese/Mandrian audio and English subs...

Hope that helps

[1] I'm not 100% sure what that footage is though. I believe it is story line and not the fight scenes. If you like the movie for just the fight scenes then buying the domestic one should be good enough.
Old 07-12-00, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nemein pretty much said everything I was gonna say .

Gorgeous isn't your typical Jackie Chan film(so don't expect it to be one) - but it's more of a "romantic comedy". The movie features mainly 2 or 3 action sequences depending who you talk to . The first, Jackie battles a gang of thugs with his motorcycle. The second, a sparring(boxing) match with Allen(Brad Allen)in the parking lot. Finally, the rematch with Allen - which is actually a pretty good sparring match(more like shadow boxing)nonetheless offers JC fans some action. Like nemein posted earlier the "action scenes are just kind of thrown in, instead of the other way around".

If you can find it - rent the HK version of Gorgeous. The domestic release should just be find also. I know that the domestic release has 20 minutes cut from the HK version.

------------------
My Addiction
Old 07-12-00, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I think that removing some footage to tighten up the pacing for the domestic release is deplorable, I do think it's great news that they are including the original language track and subtitles along with the botched dub job. Maybe other studios will follow suit. I'll probably get the domestic release (which is the only version I've seen so far) mainly for the commentary.
Old 07-13-00, 04:42 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally I think this movie is much better then his other efforts that came out in the late 90’s. As a Jackie fan, I felt that movies like “Mr. Nice Guy,” and “Who Am I,” were not up to speed. While “Who Am I” ends with one heck of a fight, I felt the rest of the movie, and the rest of the fights, seemed forced, and tired. Mr. Nice Guy was just one pile of garbage if you ask me. Gorgeous on the other hand has a very sweet story that I actually enjoyed. A little bit of Pretty Woman and Message in A Bottle, all mixed together. True, there are only two fights that actually have some thought put into them, but the other two smaller fights in the movie are just as good to me as anything in the above two movies with the exception of the last fight in Who Am I.

The two major fight had me on the edge of my seat. It has been a while since a Jackie movie has done that. They are well thought out, and fast. My only problem was the very end of the second fight got a little silly. My recommendation is buy it, and watch it with a lady friend. She is sure to like it as much as you.
Old 07-14-00, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^

------------------
Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.

My Addiction
Old 07-20-00, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a link to muldoon site regarding Gorgeous- mainly a comparison between the HK and US version(what was cut or edited out). Go Here.

------------------
Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.

My Addiction