Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Days Of Heaven

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Days Of Heaven

Old 07-14-00, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really admired The Thin Red Line; a much more thoughtful and visually appealing movie than the overrated Saving Private Ryan. I was wondering how Days of Heaven compares in quality and intelligence to The Thin Red Line.
Old 07-14-00, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A lot of Malick fans will tell you that this one is indeed his finest film (of all of 3 in the course of nearly 30 years). It is a film that at first left me both in amazement of its visual poetry, and cold from its narrative spareness and distance. However, many viewings later, it is confirmed in my mind as possibly one of the greatest films I have ever seen.

There's no easy way to describe the film, except to say that Malick acheives the cinematic equivalent of Haiku (yes, I am serious). His approach to the technique of voiceover narration alone, is revelatory. The images by Haskell Wexler and Nestor Almendros are some of the finest ever put on celluloid. And even the performance by perennial joke Richard Gere is turned into something approaching low-key genius through the eye and ear of Malick.

As to the DVD, the transfer is excellent, and true to Paramount 'standards' the only extra is a trailer. (Well, what did you expect, a Terrence Malick commentary? )

The only negative thing I can say, which is almost unrelated to the review, is that sadly this is the only DVD I own which has a replicable glitch in my Pioneer DV-525. In one specific place on the disc, it will either skip/dropout or freeze and blare out digital noise. The problem was replicated on 2 different copies of the DVD in the same spot, and 2 different DV-525s, one of which had more recent firmware!
Old 07-14-00, 01:45 AM
Banned

Have you tried the DVD on another player or on a DVD-ROM drive? Hopefully, this is not a common problem for other players. Well, thanks for your reply. I am now definitely curious about the movie.
Old 07-17-00, 06:00 AM
Banned

Days of Heaven is a great movie.

Worth buying the disc.