DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Xanadu: A Review...

Old 07-07-00, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
well, what can one say about a movie that should be ranked with the most loved musicals such as Singin' in the Rain, Fiddler on the Roof, & Grease...

those of you who are reading this post probably saw this as a kid or by curious accident on USA Up All Night one evening. it is a truly cheesy flick that has no redeeming value whatsoever...yet, i love this movie and i believe it has a small cult following.

i was one that saw this as a kid, was in love with Olivia Newton-John, and drawn in by bad special effects & poor acting.

no reason to go into the story-line because the story is really just secondary to the music. and man, i love this music (yes, i even have the cd). the soundtrack was half Newton-John & half Electric Light Orchestra with one joint effort song. i think that people forget how popular these song were...just some quick highlights to remind you:

Newton-John/ELO - Xanadu (reached #8 on Top 40)
ELO - I'm Alive (reached #16 & certified gold single)
ELO - All Over The World (reached #13)
Newton-John - Magic (#1 fo 4 weeks & certified gold)
Newton-John/Cliff Richard - Suddenly (reached #20)

a lot of hits for a movie that bombed at the box office! i have even heard that Jeff Lynne (founder of ELO) is even embarrassed by the songs he did for Xanadu & will not even discuss them.

i still love this movie though. it was released in 1980 at a time when Disco Sucks became an anthem. it has mind-numbing dance scenes, awful acting & no plot. watch for the exciting sequence when a big band hall & a rock concert collide!!!

Gene Kelly is the only person who is a good actor in this & he actually seems to be enjoying himself. it is unbelievable that he was 68 when he filmed this movie. he looks, sounds & moves like no 70 year old man i ever saw! sad to say, this was his final movie in which he acted, danced, & sang. Michael Beck is really bad in this movie but the campy acting is what makes this movie more fun. as for Newton-John, i will type one of my favorite quotes about this movie. "Newton-John is a muse who descends to Earth to help two friends open a roller disco. In the process she proves that as an actor, she's a singer." (from Videohounds's Movie Retriever).

the transfer is anamorphic widescreen & looks pretty good. there is some dirt & grain but hey, what do you expect? Xanadu looks better than it has ever looked & probably looks better than it did on the big screen. the sound is also very good. it states on the back of the DVD case that it is 4.0 but my receiver decoded it as 3.1 during the movie & it sounded like 5.1 during the musical numbers. whatever it was, it sounded really good.

and for you Don Bluth completists out there (if there are any), don't forget the Bluth animated sequence about 3/4ths of the way into the picture. interesting but looked like filler to me.

no real extras. some feeble production notes, a truly awful trailer, & some minor cast info. enjoy it, because Xanadu fans, this is probably the best you will ever get.
the movie plays like a made for television movie and it is hard to believe a major studio released it. highly recommended for the severely depressed, the nostalgic, & lovers of bad but entertaining movies.

now if The Pirate Movie & Popeye could just be released, my childhood 80's musicals would be complete.

i would love to hear other's responses to this film either positive or negative. i know i can't be the only fan of this movie on the forum!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd
Old 07-08-00, 09:53 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too am proud to own this DVD.

Just don't tell anyone ok?

My favorite is the opening "I'm Alive" sequence.

You should check out this review of the movie. Actually, what's even more interesting than the review, is the reaponses to it! He posted it back in August of last year and it's STILL getting replies!

Definitely great music (but then, I like some of ELO's stuff too ) and I always thought Olivia Newton John was cute.

------------------
David, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 07-09-00, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I'm old enough that I should have seen this movie at some point it always seemed too dorky.....guess I just never made time for it.

With Gene Kelly and ONJ I should probably give it a try though.
Old 07-10-00, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always thought the ending was so convoluted, with Olivia, after singing XANADU, then sings a country tune, a heavy metal tune, and a tap dancing tune (I might be wrong ont he order) liek they wanted to put as much tunes in 3 minutes! Cheesy great cult film though! I LOVED IT!
Old 07-10-00, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone sing the whole soundtrack to Xanadu?

------------------
And Now For Something Completely Similar
Old 07-11-00, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by NOFX:
Can anyone sing the whole soundtrack to Xanadu?
<HR>

uh...i can...