Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews: Down To You, Star Trek 2+ More New Titles

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews: Down To You, Star Trek 2+ More New Titles

Old 07-10-00, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a summary of what I've looked at from next week's titles with links to full review:

1. Down To You

I was rather suprised with "Down To You"; I'm getting a little tired of these teen romantic comedies, but this one wasn't too bad. Julia Stiles has a great performance and the film is a moderately entertaining one worth a rent. Disney's DVD provides good audio and video quality, but not much else.

FULL REVIEW: Down To You

2. The Hurricane

Incredible performance from Denzel Washington leads a well-crafted but slightly overlong film from director Norman Jewison. Image quality is very good, and audio quality is nothing remarkable but good in terms of general quality. There's also some informative supplements.

FULL REVIEW: Hurricane DVD

3. Mansfield Park

Jane Austin adaptation number 50 and in my opinion, not the best. Enjoyable writing but the story didn't engage me and neither did the characters. On the other hand, Miramax/Disney has actually put together a special edition with a great commentary.

Full Review: Mansfield Park DVD

4. Jaws

Needs no introduction, really. DTS and DD editions.

Jaws: Dolby

Jaws: DTS

5. My Dog Skip: SE

If you're looking for a great film that the entire family can enjoy, "My Dog Skip" is a really well-done picture about a young boy(Frankie Muniz of "Malcolm In The Middle") growing up in the South. Warner's Special Edition offers wonderful audio/video quality and 2 commentary tracks.

FULL REVIEW: My Dog Skip:SE

6. Searching For Bobby Fischer

A very well-written and well-acted story about a young boy who is a chess prodigy. Paramount's DVD is pretty unremarkable, though.

Full Review: Searching For Bobby Fischer

7. Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan

Excellent film and one of the best of the "TreK" series. Paramount's edition offers good audio/video, but nothing else.

Full Review: Star Trek 2 DVD<BR.

8. Diabolique(1996)

Entertaining 1996 thriller remake starring Sharon Stone.

Diabolique Full DVD Review

9. What About Bob?

Comedy with a solid following finally gets a release from Disney that's going to dissapoint fans of the film.

What About Bob? Full DVD Review

10. Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2000

'Nuff Said.

SI Swimsuit 2000