Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf

Old 06-06-00, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was surprised to search and find almost no discussion about this classic movie. So, though I don't feel qualified, I thought I put my thoughts down about the DVD.

Of course, it's one of the greats, with Liz Taylor and Richard Burton just outdoing each other with viciousness. I watched it when I first got it a couple of months ago, and just rewatched it with subtitles and commentary on, this past weekend.

I thought the transfer was okay. I didn't find too much distracting, though I have no idea what type of transfer they did. Suffice it to say it was acceptable to me. Sound was good. I defer to another with a more critical ear however, should someone have a comment.

Special features are not bad, with cinematographer commentary, subtitles, chaperts, etc. Some production notes and biography (I think--I give, I can't remember, I'm at work now).

Commentary is by Haskell Wexler, the cinematrographer. He speaks a lot about the lighting, which is occassionally interesting. But he stops speaking during the eleventh chapter, when the movie goes to 17 chapters. First time I've encountered that. Or something's wrong with my DVD.

Subtitles are often incorrect by a word or two, which I'm sure won't bother the deaf or the non-english speaking. But I found it distracting.

It comes with a snap case, which is acceptable, but not great.

My rating for this dvd is 9/10. Weighed heavily because of the movie itself. If you haven't seen it, at least rent it. One of the best. Any comments about my comments?
Old 07-02-00, 08:42 PM
Cool New Member

You're right about this film. It is one of, if not the best, performance Taylor has given. The look of the disc is good, with nice contrast. Sound is ok. Considering the plot of the film, a 5.1 remix probably wouldn't have helped that much. However, I think that, if it can be done, we should be given a choice of a 5.1 remix or the original track on most movies. It bugs me especially when a film released in stereo for the laser, i.e. Taming of the Shrew, War of the Worlds, is given a mono track for the DVD. Just some thoughts.
Old 07-03-00, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice review! Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is one of my favorite movies, and a good DVD to boot. I do believe it marks Elizabeth Taylor's finest performance.

--Heather
Old 07-03-00, 12:50 PM
classícman

You know that I never, never disagree with Heather, but this time I might slightly disagree. I think it is indeed one of Elizabeth Taylor's finest performances. One of many, I might add. She was a grossly underestimated in her acting skills. I, however, think her finest performance comes in the film Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. She is magnificient in that film - along with all members of the cast, I might add. If you haven't seen it, do!

------------------
"I ain't necessarily a Communist, but I've been in the red all my life. - Woody Guthrie
Old 07-03-00, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is another good DVD (but I stand by my previous post as to Taylor's best performance).

--Heather