DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

G.I.Joe: The Movie DVD

Old 06-23-00, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, I am not going to say anything about the movie itself because anyone reading this already knows whether they like the movie or not. First, the box art is ok on the front with the classic movie cover, but the back is lacking in design and does not even fully explain the DVDs features. Next, the art on the liner notes and the DVD itself also suck, as does the G.I.Joe logo they use without the red, white and blue stripes. However, the DVD itself is great -- much more than I expected. The menus are cool with sound and a little animation. The picture quality is outstanding throughout the movie and the inclusion of the "knowing is half the battle" skits is a great bonus. If you are a fan definitely pick up this disc you will be surprised at how good it really is.
Old 06-25-00, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got The Story of G.I. Joe last week I liked the film but it sure wasnt restored and the audio (music in the background sounded horrible) but other than that it was good.

Not sure if this is the same title.
Old 06-25-00, 01:26 AM

Nope, not the same title. G.I.Joe: The Movie is the cartoon from the 1980's not a documentary.
Old 06-25-00, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gung Ho and Snakeyes rule!!!!
Old 06-27-00, 11:22 AM

For anyone wondering about the extras listed on the back, here is what they really are:

25 Original Public Service Announcements: OK, this isn't misleading -- these are the "knowing is half the battle" shorts that ran after each episode of the series. Definitely the coolest extra on the disc.

2 Theatrical Movie Trailers: Not so. These are NOT trailers for the JOE movie. They are trailers for the original 5-part mini-series "G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero", which is also known as "The MASS Device" series. These most likely originally appeared on kid's videos as an advertisement for the miniseries' release on home video. These most definitely did not run theatrically, especially since G.I. Joe was never shown in theatres.

2 Vintage Commercials: I had hoped these might be commercials for the toys, and I was half right. Unfortunately, these are old (1970's?) commercials for the 12-inch JOEs (which had nothing to do with the JOE/Cobra characters in the TV series). Older fans may appreciate these commercials, but I think most fans of the show would have rather had commercials for the 3 3/4" action figures instead.

Anyway, if you're a fan of the movie, I think it's worth buying just to have the movie on DVD, and for the PSA's. And if the movie sells well enough, mabey Rhino will be inclined to release the TV episodes, which are SO much better than the movie.

[This message has been edited by trogon (edited June 27, 2000).]
Old 06-27-00, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ya know, knowing really is half the battle!
Old 06-28-00, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 159 Posts
Rhino has begun releasing several volumes of GI JOe and Transformers episodes... but on crappy VHS. Two episodes per tape and at least 6 tapes for each series so far.

------------------
GuessWho's DVDTracker List
Old 06-28-00, 07:55 PM

9 tapes for each series plus the movie for each series makes 10 tapes for each series currently released.
Old 06-18-01, 05:09 PM
Cool New Member

Sorry for disinterring this fossil of a thread, but I'd like to know whether the original theatrical presentation of this movie was in fullframe as the DVD presentation is. I realise that it would not make much of a difference if it indeed is the case that it was originally in widescreen format since a further DVD release of the movie is unlikely, but knowing is half the battle (haha, sorry).

[Edited by Mrannak on 06-18-01 at 02:17 PM]
Old 06-18-01, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the film was planned to be released theatrically, but after Transformers: The Movie (which was in widescreen and in the theaters) bombed, they decided to only release GI Joe on TV...I haven't heard of it ever being in widescreen originally.

Old 06-27-01, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

man i hope they start releasing GI Joe episodes on dvd with more than like 4 episodes a disc

i would love to have them then...

same with transformers.. but this heros and villians thing is worrying me

the only other sets i really want would be knight rider and a team!!!
Old 06-30-01, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the movie but I don't think I would go buy the DVD. But if they did come out with the old TV episodes on DVD I would be a happy man.
Old 08-09-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: G.I.Joe: The Movie DVD

Anyone have a copy of this on DVD for trade?
Old 08-10-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Quack
Anyone have a copy of this on DVD for trade?
If you can wait until next year, Shout Factory will be releasing it in a new special edition...they even left a space for it to go into the recent "complete series" footlocker DVD set...
Old 08-11-09, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WMAangel
If you can wait until next year, Shout Factory will be releasing it in a new special edition...they even left a space for it to go into the recent "complete series" footlocker DVD set...
Oh, that is cool! I guess I'll just wait instead of importing it from the UK.
Old 08-14-09, 07:34 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

badass....
Old 08-14-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still a bit nervous about SHOUT not releasing more dvds...they didn't release more for C.O.P.S....

Won't they only release the complete series on separate dvds ONLY if each release is a financial success?
Old 08-16-09, 09:40 PM

Gi Joe best movie ever!
Old 08-23-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I'm still a bit nervous about SHOUT not releasing more dvds...they didn't release more for C.O.P.S....

Won't they only release the complete series on separate dvds ONLY if each release is a financial success?
That's my thinking too. But I still havent watched, nor even opened, my copy of C.O.P.S. that I bought on release day.
Old 08-23-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Good to know....I had gotten the Footlocker and enjoyed seeing the spot for it, just hadn't heard any news on it, thanks!
Old 09-07-09, 09:05 PM

thanks for the infos guys!