DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Twelve Chairs?

Old 06-21-00, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone weigh in on this one? I've never seen it but I'm interested in picking it up. I love the other early Mel Brooks films that I've seen.

- mikeyboy
Old 06-21-00, 07:57 PM

I loved this movie as a kid...but it has to be 25 years since I've seen it. I keep buying films I loved as a kid, only to despise them as an adult! Anyone else get that?

------------------
Bob, editor
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com
Old 06-21-00, 08:50 PM
Topgun94

If you loved the Producers then I recommend picking this DVD up. It is not like later parody stuff Mel did (Blazing Saddles, Etc). It is simply a sweet story about a man who used to be royalty trying to adjust to Communism in Russia. He is now poor and when he learns about jewels that are supposed to be sewn in one of a set of twelve chairs he sets off to find it. Dom Deluise is very funny as the priest trying to beat him to the jewels. The DVD from Image looks good, but could have been much better. The only extra it has is the trailer. It is at least worth a rental to check it out.

------------------
Aaron
"I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous"
DVD Laserdisc Videogames
Old 06-22-00, 12:30 AM

You might want to rent this one first. It is true, it was one of the best comedies I saw many, many years ago, but the tape I bought last year has only been viewed once. It nice to know I have it there, if I ever want to see it again.