Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Thomas Crown Affair '99 "Good DVD"

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Thomas Crown Affair '99 "Good DVD"

Old 01-06-00, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my humble opinion, being of sound mind, eyesite, and hearing I rate this DVD a 4 on a scale of 5.
Enjoyable story, very good video quality and excellent audio. I wouldn't go into the fact that the fleshtones were natural, color good and for the most part clear and well defined picture and etc.
I can't imagine why anyone would say avoid this DVD.
Old 01-06-00, 11:10 AM

I just got mine last night and have to say that this is a great movie.
Old 01-06-00, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
The DVD Talk site says that the picture is terribly soft and overall very bad. Are they wrong? Is the transfer anamorphic?
Old 01-07-00, 01:03 AM

Decker--In my opinion they are wrong, they also said the DVD is worth $2.50, would they care to sell me their copy for $10.00 delivered? If so I'll glady buy it.
Old 01-08-00, 07:22 PM

AFter debating whether to exchange this movie or not, I finally opened it at watched it. While this movie does have a pretty powerful cast( I'm a Brosnain fan), the story line is lame. The beginning of the movie and the end is quite good but the middle 1 hour of the movie is EXTREMELY slow pace and is just a yawn! I have to disagree with many people who thinks Russo was good for this role. She was terrible for this role...
As far as the DVD, the sound is excellent...however, the picutre quality is lacking. I'm quite a novice DVD viewer but even I can tell the picture quality sucked. Indeed the quality is soft and the color seemed somewhat Orange tinted.
If i were debating whether to buy this DVD or not, I would definetly PASS on this movie
Old 01-09-00, 03:35 AM

dsharky:
Different opinions is what makes the world go around. Would you care to sell your copy to me? I would't mind watching it again a few months from now.
Old 01-09-00, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My wife and I just watched our copy this evening and we loved it . . . very entertaining film!!! The casting was perfect and the plot was outstanding. I'm not sure why so many people are complaining about the transfer . . . I thought it was pretty good. As for the sound . . . WOW!!! The digital surrounds were in full effect!!! I highly recommend this DVD for your collection.
Old 01-10-00, 01:51 PM

Right on Needlz, funny all the people who complained about the the DVD haven't offered to sell me their copy. Still looking to buy a used copy for my library. I rented it because of their bad reviews.
Old 01-11-00, 10:15 AM
Cool New Member

I finally received my copy from Big Star. It was the second time seeing it, the first being in the theatre. I have to agree with Needlz, the sound was phenomenal.

I enjoyed it, but glad that it made my collection in under $10.
Old 01-11-00, 03:36 PM

I'd have to say I disagreed with Aaron Beierle's review in the DVD Talk review section. I wasn't expecting to like this film at all, but I did.

I enjoyed the games of cat and mouse between brosnain and russo. I admit that I was worried that this was going to be a "chick flick" but I was wrong, I enjoyed the non-action sequences as much as the action ones.

As far as the criticism of the sound, I loved the soundtrack. I didn't care much about the lack of base, and I think that the scenes that had the "clapping" music worked very well.

Great movie in my opinion.
Old 01-11-00, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I liked the movie enough to give it a B. And of course, I want to know how Thomas pulled off that last caper!

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 01-12-00, 01:02 AM
reliquary

My wife and I also enjoyed this movie. I was also hesitant on whether or not to open it due to a lot of negative reviews. But it payed off nicely and we're glad it's a part of our collection.

------------------
Woo-hoo! The Messenger: The Story Of Joan Of Arc is coming to DVD on April 4th!
Old 06-15-00, 04:39 AM

I purchased this disc for 9.99 at a local video store previously viewed and watched it tonight and the transfer and sound quality were outstanding. Discrete Surround Info was present the entire time and the soundstage wide open. My favorite scene was the glider flight panning of the surround effects were amazing.