Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted : James Bond Collection #2

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted : James Bond Collection #2

Old 05-13-00, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the subject says:

I have the first one, pretty impressive set. I would like to know which Bond movies are remastered in 5.1, how they sound, picture quality, special features, etc.

Plus, info about The World Is Not Enough, and yes even OHMSS.
Old 05-14-00, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Just picked up The World Is Not Enough yesterday. The picture and sound are most excellent. However, the special features aren't all that great. In terms of special features, it is the worst of the Bond DVDs. It comes with a 15 minute documentary that is nothing more than one of those fluff pieces the studios make. I haven't listened to any of the commentaries yet, nor have I bothered with the alternate angle feature. If you liked the movie, by all means buy the DVD. Great picture and sound.
Old 05-17-00, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uh oh, I'm hearing from some other threads that the individual DVDs in this second release wave aren't very good. For example:

TWINE - Lack of features, white lettering on the side
TMWTGG - Poor video quality, freezing in some chapters
Dr. No - Very bad transfer, possibly because the master wasn't very good to begin with
TSWLM - Average Bond DVD at best, compared to the ones in the first set

Moonraker, OHMSS - Bad movies, themselves
Old 05-17-00, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now hold on, bluemagic!

OHMSS is a good movie!

It's not great, but it's still pretty cool. Obviously, George Lazenby isn't that great, but the movie's a lot of fun.

Bond has sex with about eleven different chicks and then gets married at the end.

I believe that's the summary on the back of the box, actually...

------------------
My Stupid DVD List
Old 05-23-00, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 704 Posts
i watched TWINE yesterday. great picture & great sound. i actually enjoyed it more the 2nd time around. saw it first in the theater & was not too taken but i definitely enjoyed it more at home. some really corny lines but i would say 50% were still funny.

low on features though. i really like the in-depth documentaries of the 1st set & the documentary on this one...well, just plain sucks. there is this chick on there who is the host that is not only james bond ignorant, she is also unattractive. you would think that they could have at least gotten a decent looking girl to ask the same stupid questions that the ugly one did.

i felt there should have been a large mention of "Q" since this was his last one for sure & they kinda played it that way in the movie as well.

well, you know that in 2 years, i am sure that they will release a new & super special edition & we will have to re-buy it again. i think i am up to my 3rd copy of james bond films.
Old 05-24-00, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

watched Moonraker tonight. man, i forgot how much i enjoyed this movie when i was a kid. i still liked it alot. great transfer, very clean. one of the best looking of the older bonds.

the 5.1 surround was also excellent. it used the sub & rears a lot more than i expected.

there is an excellent documentary just about Moonraker & then another too short documentary on some of the special effects wizards on the bond films thru the years. pretty lackluster still gallery & the trailer was interesting.

definitely recommended if you are a Bond fan.
Old 05-25-00, 06:38 PM

brianluvdvd,

Couldn't agree with you more about "Moonraker." I don't know why that movie always gets blasted so much by critics.....if you like Moore and you like Bond, this one has it all (as Marvel Comics used to say)!!! It's a lot of fun......not one to take too seriously.

I watched the DVD version of this recently, and I thought it was terrific (and I saw "Moonraker" in the movie theater when it came out; it looked better on a big screen TV). Love that letterbox format! I'm not sure what kind of set you guys watch your stuff on, but truly I see few problems with the MGM DVDs, ESPECIALLY Bond. Yep.......Moonraker's a good one, IMO.

As for Lazenby, yes...he's terrible. I cringe watching him stumble through his dialogue. Too bad Connery wasn't available for OHMSS. Otherwise, that was a good film.

Old 06-12-00, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

watched Man With the Golden Gun. not the best but a decent transfer & 2.0 surround sound. another Bond film that i forgot how enjoyable it is. very good documentary as well.

also watched On Her Majesty's Secret Service. this is a Bond film that i had forgotten how bad it is. i was really looking forward to it b/c i had always thought it was okay. the transfer is great & the sound is mono. it just seemed a lot more boring than most of the other Bond films. there are some really good fight scenes (that are obviously speeded up) but no gadgets or wild action that you normally expect in a Bond film.

my problem with OHMSS came from the numerous plot holes. Bond & Blofeld just met face to face in You Only Live Twice, yet Blofeld does not even recognize his arch-nemesis face to face again after only 2 years (story time). maybe James Bond has Superman Syndrome where all he needs is a pair of glasses to become unrecognizable to everyone. also, Blofeld is in a wheel-chair in YOLT. what happened to that? & why the hell does Blofeld hold his cigarettes so weird when he smokes?

the love between James & Tracy seems rushed & i have a hard time believing nuptials. anyone else have any comments on the above plot points? i know that all the critics say that if Lazenby had stayed with it, he might have been te best Bond ever. i think that he probably would have Clooney-ed the franchise.