Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Columbia's Lost Horizon blows Criterion away!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Columbia's Lost Horizon blows Criterion away!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-99, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought/saw the restored version of the 1937 classic "lost horizon". What a disc!

They spent 15 years restoring this masterpiece, and it shows. While some of the footage was only available in poor quality, most of the film is a solid A rating. This version has an astonishing restored additional 24 minutes of footage!

What really surprised me was the approach they used. They had the complete soundtrack for 132 minutes total film, but only found video for 125. So what to do with the missing 7 minutes of footage? They could have simply cut it out, or had an audio-only supplement, but no! They KEPT the audio-only 7 minutes where they belonged in the film, and showed still photos of the characters speaking so we wouldn't be watching a totally blank screen. This took guts, in my opinion, and shows how this DVD is catered to the truly film buff.

There also is a great set of production stills. Instead of merely showing them in a slide show (as most do), these were narrated so we had complete history on each production still!

Deleted scenes, a fascinating audio commentary, and a segment on the restoration process itself.

Not only this, but the audio is incredibly clean for a 1937 film.

Oh, BTW, the disc is listed as a anamorphic full frame. I don't understand this..

Now, if Criterion did this, they would charge $40 or $50 dollars and (like the Lady Vanishes) probably not care enough to make the audio match the picture. Columbia only had a MSRP of $30 and I got it for $11.99 at reel.

This is an amazing disc of an amazing film, and one that I will cherish forever.

The plot, by the way, is about the mythical Shangri-la -a place where there is no conflict and only peace. It's amazing that the film is never boring for an instant.

If you love Ronald Coleman, old films, or just great classics, or are interested in Film Restoration, check it out!
Old 06-07-00, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I finally got to see LH last night.
I was thinking the same thing. (Criterion).

Wonderful movie, excellent extra features.
I would recommend it to any serious movie fan. This DVD is a must have!
Old 06-07-00, 02:23 PM
classícman

Steve,

Would you like to trade it? I have been trying to trade for it to no avail. I'm too cheap to buy it.

------------------
"I ain't necessarily a Communist, but I've been in the red all my life. - Woody Guthrie
Old 06-07-00, 06:11 PM

Great review. I am ordering a copy right now.