Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Reviews: Bringing Out The Dead/Being John Malkovich

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Reviews: Bringing Out The Dead/Being John Malkovich

Old 04-28-00, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was able to get an early look at both of these titles today, and while neither were major special editions("Malkovich" has some minor extras), they are both excellent movies very much worth taking a look at on DVD.

Bringing Out The Dead stars Nicholas Cage as a burned out paramedic traveling the streets of NYC seeking the next person to save. Directed by Scorsese, this is a movie full of great performances. Paramount's DVD presents the video and audio very well, but the only extras are a section of interviews with all involved and 2 trailers.

DVD Review: Bringing Out The Dead

Being John Malkovich is one of the weirdest, most original movies I've seen. I think most already know the story, but I have to say that the performances were fantastic, as well. Video and audio quality are good, and there are some weird extras, including a very strange interview with the director.

Being John Malkovich

I will also be reviewing Anywhere But Here, Dogma and Galaxy Quest tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by DVDRules1 (edited April 27, 2000).]
Old 04-28-00, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the reviews. I have both of these on order. I was one of the relative few that thought Bringing Out the Dead was an excellent film.
Old 04-28-00, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me in that crowd too as I thought Bringing Out the Dead was pretty good although not among Scorcese's best

------------------
The bane of my existence monetary wise
Old 04-30-00, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw BJM for the first time -- definitely had me enthralled the whole time. I even said aloud a couple of times "damn that's f*cked up". Not a bad thing, just indicative of the type of movie that Spike Jonze made.

Speaking of the director -- has anyone else seen the Q&A with Jonze? Now that is an *interesting* interview.
Old 05-21-00, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Although I enjoyed the overall experience of watching BJM, I have to say, that is the wierdest god---med I have ever seen. Even the extras were wierd. As Will Smith said in MIB that rates a 10 on my wierd-**** 'o'meter. Interesting to see but I question much replay value. I'll probably watch it one more time before I decide if it's keeper.

------------------
Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD Tracker list
But John, when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.
Old 05-21-00, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I watched BJM on DVD a week ago. Not a keeper for me, but it's worth watching once. I didn't care for the 3rd act/resolution.
The premise was fun.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 05-22-00, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BJM-The 3rd act and resolution left me dissapointed.
Feel they also didn't use Malkovich enough.
Good, but slightly overrated.

BOTD-Wow. Loved this! I wish there was more time with Ving Rhames, and that the story had a brighter ending...but that's just MY view..if he could have met the girl and the father live, sun rises...it would have made a statement.
I'm STILL not sure what statement this made.
But..it is still now one of my 'repeat views'.
Excellent acting, directing and use of camera..and when NOT to overuse the camera.
I never saw Taxi Driver(Didn't like the first half hour), so I am unbiased,somewhat.
Old 05-23-00, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Weapon X:

BOTD-...and that the story had a brighter ending...but that's just MY view..if he could have met the girl and the father live, sun rises...it would have made a statement.
I'm STILL not sure what statement this made.

Excellent acting, directing and use of camera..and when NOT to overuse the camera.
I never saw Taxi Driver(Didn't like the first half hour), so I am unbiased,somewhat.
<HR>

Hmm...I think your suggestion runs contrary to what the film is trying to say. Through the movie Pierce learns that he is not a redeemer, that he is not god, and that he is not responsible and cannot control what happens. (Contrary to the scene after he takes drugs and dreams of raising people from the dead). Rather, his role is simply to be compassionate, and to help others and himself the best he can.