Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Fishing With John: Criterion - wtf?!

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Fishing With John: Criterion - wtf?!

Old 05-16-00, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My gf and I sat down to catch an episode of this disc last night. Thankfully, it's not like your typical fishing show. However, I haven't quite figured out what it is like. The best description I can find at present is: Imagine MTV's Tom Green going fishing with movie stars. It's wacked.

Anyone else got this disc? What'd you think?

- David Stein
Old 05-16-00, 05:32 PM

i have only watched the first 2 episodes and they both have really funny moments (especially the 2nd one with tom waits).

also, don't forget to re-watch the episodes with the audio commentary. it really is hilarious.

this said, i am looking forward to watching the 4 other episodes.

i recommend this dvd although be warned that it is not for everyone. only for those looking for something different.
Old 05-16-00, 05:40 PM
Topgun94

I highly recommend Fishing With John to anyone who wants a laugh and wants to watch something a little different. The commentaries are excellent. I actually learned some behind the scenes details about the Last Temptation of Christ by watching Fishing With John. Who would of thunk it.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
My Rather Small Laserdisc Collection
Old 05-16-00, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts
episodes? i thought this was a movie? i know nothing about this disc. anybody want to give a more in-depth review?
Old 05-16-00, 07:36 PM
Spengler

I went out & got a copy largely based on some of the posts I've seen & I am glad I did. I personally think the entire disc is worth getting just for the episode w/ Matt Dillon. You can tell John doen't really care for Matt much & at one point even yells at him which I thought was funny as hell. Also the narrator is the funniest part of the show. "These are cows" explains the narrator as the camera shows cows. Funny stuff, I guess you have to see it to know what I mean but I will admit this disc is not for everyone.
Old 05-16-00, 09:32 PM
Topgun94

quote:<HR>Originally posted by brianluvdvd:
episodes? i thought this was a movie? i know nothing about this disc. anybody want to give a more in-depth review?<HR>

Fishing With John is a failed TV show John Lurie shot for a Japanese company in the early 90's. It is an offbeat fishing show with Lurie and a celebrity guest fishing in an exotic location. There were 6 episodes made and all are on the DVD. There is also a director's commentary track for every episode and a Lounge Lizards music video.

Episode one is with Jim Jarmusch in Montauk.
Episode two is Tom Waits in Jamaica.
Episode three is Matt Dillon in Costa Rica.
Episode four is Willem Dafoe in Maine.
Episode five and six is Dennis Hopper in Thailand.

John tried to make each episode into an adventure. Having the narrator hype up the danger of each situation and help set up some of the comedy. Listen to the commentary and John will tell the truth behind the making of each episode. A very entertaining and humorous show. Filled with some very original and offbeat humor. Highly recommended for at least a rental.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
My Rather Small Laserdisc Collection
Old 05-17-00, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sfsdfd: please don't compare John Lurie to Tom Green, they act nothing alike.

DJ
Old 05-17-00, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool disc and one in the eye for people who say Criterion are elitist and only release boring art movies.

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human
Old 05-17-00, 11:57 AM

sfsdfd- let me know if you wanna get rid of your copy.....

[email protected]
Old 05-17-00, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

rupertpupkin: Just because it's wacked doesn't mean I don't like it,let alone want to sell it! It's actually kinda cool.

- David Stein
Old 05-17-00, 02:34 PM

Man I gotta tell ya I just love Fishing with John and my favorite scenes are when Jim Jarmaush tells John the story of the Dolphins hitting the lady on the chest. Also gotta love the Narrator - especially the sores&boners remark and with Willem dafoe when they're setting up the shack and he comments, "These are real men doing real things" or something like that, it just kills me.

But one thing, What was the deal with Matt Dillon? He seemed really obnoxious and kinda anal, but Dafoe is a such great guy, I'd stick my hands in his armpits without a second thought, but that's for another thread

Edited Thanks to DJTOELL

[This message has been edited by freelans (edited May 20, 2000).]
Old 05-17-00, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
freelans: you mean Matt Dillon?

DJ
Old 05-18-00, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched two more episodes Tuesday night: the one with Tom Waits (awfully dull) and the one with Matt Dillon/Damon which was pretty funny. By the middle of the episode, Matt just had this pissed-off, "I'm fishing with a freak" expression plastered on his face.

It's not a bad disc and I'm glad it's part of the collection. I'm looking forward to the Dennis Hopper episodes!

- David Stein
Old 05-20-00, 10:46 AM

One of the few things I've picked up sight-unseen, and I'm extremely glad I did. By time the power of John and Matt's fishdance kicked in ("Tacho has transformed himself!")I'm pretty sure I was laughing hard enough to injure myself.

[This message has been edited by Drastic (edited May 20, 2000).]