Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: "The Naked Kiss" (Criterion)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: "The Naked Kiss" (Criterion)

Old 05-13-00, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for a review of Sam Fuller's "The Naked Kiss", released by Criterion. I've been unable to find it for rental, so I'm thinking of buying it without seeing it first. (I figure if I liked "Shock Corridor", then I'll probably like this too.)Anyway, reviews of the film and transfer would be greatly appreciated.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 05-14-00, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim,

The Naked Kiss Is a B&W 1:66 WS with DD Mono sound. The transfer is not perfect but fine for a movie of this vintage.

The film itself is so so. It has been done many times. Woman/man leaves town for a new begining which goes well until something goes wrong and then the past shows up and .... Fuller throws in a few extra twists. I give the movie a C+.

I know you are a Noir fan. The Naked Kiss is a 50/50 buy.

Mike
Old 05-14-00, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tough call.

I liked it.

Can't comment on the disc, I saw it on tv a few years ago & would definitely like to see it again. Can a movie be melodramatic & stilted at the same time? You should probably see it at some point, but I don't know how many times you'd want to watch it. I guess it depends on how cheap you can get it & if you can handle Constance Towers. She's the star, & pretty much everyone else is a creep. It can seem very cornball & then something bizarre will happen. Not for everyone. Contains a pretty famous opening & an inexplicable & haunting sing-along somewhere in the middle.

Sam Fuller used to be a reporter & most of what he does seems to be in headline form. If you like Shock Corridor & Seconds, you will probably like this. & for more Sam Fuller, try to catch Bravo's too-short documentary, The Typewriter, the Rifle, & the Movie Camera. It made me want to see all his films.