Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Origional Invasion of the Body Snatchers

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Origional Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Old 05-06-00, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am referring to the origional Sergio Leoni version from the 50's. I did a search and only found reviews for the 1978 and 1990's remakes. The disc is from Republic Pictures, comes in a holographic case, and says that it is a remastered transfer from the origional camera negative. Needless to say I value you folks opinion over the DVD case. How does this disc look and sound? Any new versions on the horizon?
Old 05-07-00, 12:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm. If you're referring to the 1956 version, Sergio Leone did not direct that.
Old 05-07-00, 12:27 AM

I'm not sure of the version you are refering to. I have Republics' cat. 42018. This is the 1955/56 version, directed by Don Seigel, staring Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter. I'm not aware of an earlier version.

The transfer on this DVD is very good, at least as good as the Criterion LD maybe slightly better. Widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the other. The sound is Dolby stereo and clean.

If you like the movie you should enjoy the DVD.

Mike
Old 05-07-00, 01:02 AM
Banned

Monkey:

You are absolutely right ma-man! Had a minor brain fart. By the way do you like it when people call you ma-man?

brez:

Thank you very much. I was worried that Republic released sub-par stuff, but that sounds good to me. I will definately pick it up......ma-man.
Old 05-07-00, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"The transfer on this DVD is very good, at least as good as the Criterion LD maybe slightly better"

Wow -- did you actually compare the two directly? I did, and I found the DVD to be light years better than the Criterion LD. Crisper, much more detail, less dirt/scratching on the print. I immediately sold off my Criterion LD... the only thing I was really losing was the commentary track (it wasn't a very good one -- it's one of those pseudo-intellectual tracks that is unintentionally funny.)

Anyway, I just thought it was strange that you would say it was equal or maybe slightly better than the Criterion LD...
Old 05-07-00, 06:14 PM

bboisvert,

No, I did not do a direct comparison. I relied on my recollection that the DVD was better and left it at that. After reading your post I did a direct comparison and I have to agree with you, the DVD is much better than the LD.

They say time heals all wounds. Apparently that applies to recollections as well.

Mike
Old 05-08-00, 03:37 AM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Pants:
Monkey:

You are absolutely right ma-man! Had a minor brain fart. By the way do you like it when people call you ma-man?

brez:

Thank you very much. I was worried that Republic released sub-par stuff, but that sounds good to me. I will definately pick it up......ma-man.
<HR>

Sure, ma-man!!

Old 05-09-00, 12:06 PM

Unfortunately, this dvd is the producer's cut of the movie, NOT Don Seigel's director's cut. So I'll still keep my VHS director's cut.
Old 05-09-00, 09:24 PM
Banned

sinople-

1. I post this request and get positive feed back

2. I order the disc today from 800.com

3. You tell me that their is a different director's cut

4. I KICK MY OWN @SS

So tell me what are the differences between the two?