Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Criterion" treatment my a$$ (High & Low)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"Criterion" treatment my a$$ (High & Low)

Old 04-21-00, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just received my copy of High & Low, Criterion #24, and I'm... not happy. The disc's only extra is a set of color bars.

I thought the respected "Criterion treatment" entailed A) a classic (but not necessarily old) movie with B) a cleaned-up transfer and C) tuned-up audio and D) LOTS OF EXTRAS. This disc is about as stripped-down as you can get - not even a few lousy pages of text describing Kurosawa or Mifune.

Of course, I could have checked the disc specs before I purchased it. But I trusted Criterion to deliver quality material. Instead, I paid extra for a bare-bones flick.

- David Stein
Old 04-21-00, 04:21 AM

The transfer is poor and the audio is well....bad. There are many Criterion discs that one should avoid. I tried getting them all and when I finally started watching them I realized that I was insane. Completely over the top friggin insane. Some of these movies are worse than raw oysters rotting in the sun.
Old 04-21-00, 07:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#1 One must realize that someone, I'll assume Toho Studios, does a bad job of storing their films. While the picture and sound are bad the transfer was probably assembled from the best quality elements available in japan. Look at Seven Samurai. It underwent digital restoration and still looks horible. It is still the best it will probably ever look.

#2 Don't judge the film untill you have watched it all. The opening credits of High and Low are REALLY bad! But the film itself is much sharper. (But yes I will concede, far from perfect)
Old 04-21-00, 07:47 AM
Banned

#1 One must realize that someone, I'll assume Toho Studios, does a bad job of storing their films. While the picture and sound are bad the transfer was probably assembled from the best quality elements available in japan. Look at Seven Samurai. It underwent digital restoration and still looks horible. It is still the best it will probably ever look.

#2 Don't judge the film untill you have watched it all. The opening credits of High and Low are REALLY bad! But the film itself is much sharper. (But yes I will concede, far from perfect)
Old 04-21-00, 07:57 AM
Banned

Sorry! I'm a F@&KING newbie double posting moron. I'm still getting used to this.
Old 04-21-00, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Happens to the best of us... (namely, me and lots of other people I guess.)

- David Stein
Old 05-03-00, 09:17 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What about the Hong Kong version?

What ratio is the Criterion dvd?