Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe" - which version to order?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe" - which version to order?

Old 02-20-00, 10:56 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I like the old "Flash Gordon" serials and i am thinking about pre-ordering "Flash Gordon conquers the Universe".

However there are two version of that title announced (at the same price). One from VCL the other from Image.

Does you guys have any idea which version is to be prefered?
Maybe from previous LD transfers or something...

Thanx

AM
Old 02-20-00, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe is the only one of the 3 serials that is in the public domain (i.e. -- no one owns the rights, so any company can release it). That's why you have 2 versions coming out.

This is really a tough call and it's going to be difficult to figure out which one to get until reviews start popping up. But, here are some things to consider:

* The VCI version comes out on 3/14 (a month before the Image version).

* Image did the laserdisc boxed sets, so I assume that their transfer will be better. However, these films are definitely showing their age and the Image DVD of Space Soldiers didn't exactly blow me away. Of course, the picture quality of the VCI version may be absolutely terrible -- we really won't know until someone sees it and posts.

* The VCI version will include interviews, lectures, and other supplements. Probably not much, but it'll be more than the Image version (which has no extras).

Overall, I think the VCI version wins this battle. However, without being able to compare the picture quality, it's going to be impossible to say. I'm pretty certain the Image release will be decent (like Space Soldiers -- not amazing, but passable). But the VCI version could end up looking like Madacy's Metropolis for all we know.
Old 05-01-00, 03:19 PM

So has anyone gotten either version yet?

CD Now just cancelled my order for the VCI version, so I have to reorder. Just trying to determine which is the better version to get.

------------------
-Jason
My DVDs
My Adult DVDs
Old 05-01-00, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, CDNow cancelled my VCI too. What's up with that?!?

Anyway, I've had a chance to watch both versions and compare. Without a doubt -- get the Image version. The picture quality is much better and it is all on 1 DVD. The VCI version has 2 DVDs because of the supplements and it spreads the episodes across both discs. (The supplements are very bad, by the way, with horrible Crabbe interviews where he seems very bored.)

Plus, the Image version matches my other 2 serials on my shelf!

Edited to add:
Just found this review, which sums up the 4 DVD releases nicely: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...onserials.html

[This message has been edited by bboisvert (edited May 01, 2000).]
Old 05-01-00, 07:03 PM

Thanks bboisvert!

After reading the comparsion, the Image version is definitely the one to go with. I'm glad CD Now cancelled the VCI version.

Plus you're right, the serials will look better in the same cases (even though they're snappers.)

------------------
-Jason
My DVDs
My Adult DVDs