Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

robocop criterion

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-00, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey everyone!
can you guys give me a little help regarding the robocop criterion edition? is it really worth the 28 dollars its going for?

also i was wondering if anyone has purchased earthscapes special edition and if you recommend it.
thanks a lot people!
ciao
Old 03-30-00, 03:33 PM

i used to own this disc. and it contained added gory scenes that were previously cut to avoid 'x'-rating. the disc it self has good but not great video, and audio is only DD 2.0, not 5.1 surround. there are no subtitles but the disc contains an audio commentary and many other extras. also it's packaged in an amaray brand keepcase.

so i guess the final decision on whether it's worth the money is up to you.

good luck,

ANDRO
Old 03-30-00, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would you consider yourself a casual fan of the movie or is it a favorite? I can't imagine not having the Verhoeven commentary and the few seconds of extended violence, but that may not be important to you. Some people don't like the Criterion transfer, as it is different than the regular edition. Neither is anamorphic and it doesn't bother me.
Old 03-30-00, 03:59 PM

I remember watching the movie when it first came out i think i was around 10-12 then and it was the coolest movie i had seen. Havent seen it since and i am sure it will bring back great memories. I just wanted to know if you think its worth the 28 bucks it goes for...
Anyhow I just watched total recall lately and it didnt seem as impressive as the first time i saw it when i was around 12...I just remember it being so much more explosive!

Hey appreciate the feedback guys, I'm so glad i stumbled into this site.

ciao
Old 03-30-00, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To me it's certainly worth the $16-$22 you're likely to pay if you time it right with a coupon. Yesterday you could have snagged it at buy.com with $10 off, or you can still get it at CDuniverse with $10 off (but good luck getting it sorted out if they don't apply it)

I'm a guy who thought he was getting a deal 5 years ago when I bought the Criterion CAV laserdisc for $60. You've got it so easy, debating over $28. sheesh.
Old 03-30-00, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great disc if you're a Robocop fan. I also felt all that new added violence was truly uneeded.

------------------
"THIS IS WHO WE ARE"

[This message has been edited by THX 1138 (edited March 30, 2000).]
Old 03-30-00, 10:44 PM

I personally think it's a definite buy if you like the movie, especially since there are rumors that it will be going out of production soon. The transfer, both audio and video, is pretty good too. The commentary and extras are excellent. Good luck!

------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"
Old 04-10-00, 03:06 AM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked the movie. I also thought that the added violence with this version was appropriate. Robocop was -- and is -- a very violent, gory movie to begin with. People tend to forget that fact. The added violence seems to me to make a point.

What disappointed me with this disc is that the extras were not up to what I had expected for a Criterion disc. While they seem to be able to put incredible extras on some of the real snoozers that they put out, when given a relatively recent movie like Robocop, they can't seem to put the same effort into digging up collateral material.

My original decision was not to buy this disc. I thought that it would eventually give way to one with more extras. However, with expiring coupons that I have to use, and general overal rises in pricing, I think I will buy it now. It is still selling at the 30 percent off for which it was selling a year ago. Moreover, if the rumor of discontinuing this disc is true, and another, better, one does not replace it, I will be upset that I did not get this.

So, that's a long-winded way of my saying, if you like the movie, get the Criterion disc, but use the existing discounts and don't pay much more than $12 or $13 for it.
Old 04-11-00, 01:15 AM
reserviordog

I liked it when I was 12, so I bought it on a whim.

The extra scenes made my roommates jaw hit the floor. Even by today's standards, some of it was pretty intense.

It's a good disc. The image isn't as "wide" as the other version, but they didn't pan and scan, they just (per the director's request) opened the matte up a little bit. You actually see more than the other version.