DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Road Warrior or Beyond Thunderdome?

Old 04-07-00, 10:19 PM

I am thinking of getting The Road Warrior and/or Beyond Thunderdome. I today heard from a questionably reliable friend of mine that TRW is being re-released as a special edition. Is this true? Also can you tell me if TRW and MMBT are worth buying in its current form video and sound wise. A quick review of each would be appreciated.
Old 04-08-00, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I can tell you that in their pure uncut form -- sounds like coke huh? -- Road warrior is far superior to Beyond Thunderdome althought IMO Beyond is still an interesting flick.

The action scenes and chases in RW just blow me away every time. I'm awaiting my copy right now, but i haven't heard of any new versions coming out. There's nothing really special on the current dvd, but it's worth it for the movie alone.

hope that helps. I can give more info if that didn't help.

tuan Jim

------------------
Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
--Ash
Old 04-08-00, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't had the chance to see this movie yet, but I keep hearing about how violent it is. Just what are some of the grusome scenes in it (The Road Warrior)?
Old 04-08-00, 06:04 PM

The Road Warrior is one of the biggest and greatest action movies of all time. The chase scenes ending in destruction are by far the best ever filmed. Beyond Thunderdome is ok, but nothing like Road Warrior. I haven't heard anything about a Special Edition of Road Warrior, but the current version will do the job. Enhanced for 16:9 TV's too, if you have one. Highly recommended!!!
Old 04-08-00, 10:21 PM

Thanks for your input guys. You have helped me make a decision.
Old 04-09-00, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've only seen the uncut version once and I can't really remember too many differences between it and the tv version. A couple of scenes -- people getting run over, tortured (can't remember how bad it was -- you might want to rent it first). because of a lack of guns, most of the actual fighting is done with crossbows so you have the general random impalement. One guy gets his fingers chopped off -- pretty funny actually considering the circumstances, etc.

Tuan Jim

------------------
Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
--Ash
Old 04-09-00, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I vote for Road Warrior as well. On a related topic, are there different versions of Mad Max available on DVD? If so, anyone know the differences?

There's something about the rawness of Max that makes it my favorite of the 3. Road Warrior is a little more polished/refined than Max but still outstanding... but Thunderdome is the hollywood-polished predecessor to Waterworld. :-(

------------------
Tom Perconti -
A cheapskate's DVD Collection... which happens to have more than 5 titles thanks to DVDTalk!
Old 04-09-00, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would call Waterworld a near perfect (in terms of actual representation) copy of Road Warrior -- which is where it sucks the most. The only difference between the two --story and plot-wise is that ones in the desert and one's on water -- needless to say, Waterworld is a shameless imitation.

I don't believe there are any SE's or anything available yet for any mad max movies except the possibility of a very rare Japanese dvd that features the original Australian audio for Mad Max -- all others are dubbed in American -- ridiculous if you ask me -- very very obvious when you're watching it. Haven't seen it for sale anywhere though, unfortunately.

hope that helps. if someone knows something bout availability, etc, that i don't, all the better.

Tuan Jim

------------------
Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
--Ash