DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Deep Blue Sea **spoiler**

Old 12-19-99, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw this last night, and was very pleased with this movie. Great special effects, plausible plot (to a point), great surprises (Samual Jackson...awesome, I laughed when the shark grabbed him), and some humor thrown in as well.

Renny Harlin is back on track with this winner.
Old 12-20-99, 01:36 AM

I agree. I watched it again on DVD a couple days ago and, despite knowing who's going to get it and when, it's still an amazing thrill-ride. And some of it is pretty funny too. I wish they had gone ahead and reinserted the deleted scenes, though. They seemed to be good enough to keep in (although none of them were great).

I have to disagree with your statement that Harlin is "back on track" though. His last movie was "The Long Kiss Goodnight" which was even better, IMO, than Deep Blue Sea. If you missed that one (most people did), then I'd suggest checking it out. "Cutthroat island" it ain't. Great action pieces, wonderful script (penned by Shane Black, writer of the original Lethal Weapon and The Last Boy Scout), very entertaining.

--Apparition
Old 12-22-99, 03:36 PM

Gee has anyone noticed the shocking similarities of JawsIII-D and Deep Blue Sea.Hopefully MCA will release this spectacle of bad filmmaking onto DVD and even better if its in 3D.Now thats worth waiting for.I cant imagine a better use for beer.
Old 12-22-99, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Apparition; I liked both Long Kiss and Cutthroat Island. I think Geena Davis is hot anyway so that helps but both were the same type of comicbook entertainment.

"Goodnight dear, I'm watching a movie!"

------------------
Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD Tracker list
Old 12-22-99, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I rented this the other night, not because I was expecting to enjoy the movie, but because I really wanted to hear Sam Jackson doing a commentary. Unfortunately, my father was in the room when I started watching it. He gets extremely bored when I listen to a commentary, so I just watched the movie by itself. I must say, although it was bad, it wasn't quite as bad as it should have been. Don't get me wrong. I'm not recommending it. I was just surprised that it wasn't as truly awful as I thought it would be.

I did get a chance to listen to some of the commentary later. Sam Jackson does make some humorous comments, but what really had me laughing was how Renny Harlin sounds exactly like the character of McBain from "The Simpsons". Harlin also made some incredibly moronic statements, trying to make himself sound like an intelligent and interesting filmmaker, like "This is what I call a red herring shot". He then goes on to explain what that means....just in case his audience isn't as smart as him and doesn't know what the phrase "red herring" means. Or maybe it was the fact that he sounds so much like McBain that gave me the feeling that Harlin is an idiot.

"The whole thing was a red herring....a fish I don't particularly care for." -Agent Dale Cooper, Twin Peaks

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 12-22-99, 08:28 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I enjoyed Deep Blue Sea in the theater ... and the DVD is first rate. You either like this sort of shlock, or you don't.

And I don't think there was any need to point out the thing about Mr. Jackson.

Noel

------------------
MY DVDs: A study in addiction
THE FAKE NEWS: An e-zine for NORM MACDONALD fans

Old 12-27-99, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is one great thrill ride of a movie!! I watched it again last night with family & friends & we all had just a great time. Technically speaking,However, the comentary by Renny is pretty boring in contrast to the great fun & insight provided by Samuel L. Jackson in his bit of the commentary. The film's transfer is incredible & the supplemental materials are pretty cool as well. All in all you really can't lose with this film. Good catch either way rent of buy!

------------------
Gojira

[This message has been edited by buckee1 (edited 12-27-1999).]
Old 12-27-99, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,064 Likes on 695 Posts
I agree -- Samuel L. Jackson's commentary was great! My favorite commentaries are the ones that manage to balance humor & information, and Jackson pulls it off beautifully.
Old 12-27-99, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree . . . "Deep Blue Sea" is DA BOMB!!! I have enjoyed most of Renny Harlin's films, including "Deep Blue Sea", "The Long Kiss Goodnight", "Cliffhanger", and "Die Hard 2" (my favorite of the trilogy). I am looking forward to whatever movie he decides on next.

. . . and Samuel L. Jackson doing one of his patented speeches until the shark grabs him . . . now that was SICK!!!
Old 12-28-99, 01:34 PM

Take out the aweful computer generated effects and this would have been a pretty good movie. The effects are so unrealistic looking that it hurts worse than the shark bite.
Old 12-30-99, 09:45 AM
Roy
Cool New Member

Quick statement about my experiences on commentaries. I love those things and it is one of the reasons I love DVD. However, I have noticed that the commentary by actors is frequently alot more entertaining than the producer/director input (makes senses - they are entertainers) Also the producers/directors sometimes take themselves very, very, very way too seriously in their commentary. But I have also learned alot about movie making by listening to them. Just an observation.
Old 12-31-99, 05:38 AM

Did anyone notice the similarities to one of Harlen's other films Clifhanger? When Carter is hanging from the ladder to try and save the blonde girl, she says "I don't want to die" then he tells her to give him her hand. The dialouge and the way it was shot was just like the opening scene in Cliffhanger. Just struck me as kind of wierd when I saw it.

[This message has been edited by Steelers1 (edited 12-31-1999).]
Old 12-31-99, 12:04 PM
reliquary

I feel that Deep Blue Sea was the most entertaining time I've spent watching a DVD this year. Just a great movie!
Old 01-01-00, 08:52 AM

I liked it when the guy when out to stun the shark and then moved the fourty foot long, multiton monstrocity to the elevator by himself in a tank with two other superintelligent sharks that did nothing to him after menacing him for several minutes while he was doing that. Oh, and the fourty foot long, eight feet tall and wide sharks that can fit through four foot wide doors so long as it switches to a POV camera as well as hide everything including their fin in three feet of water.
Old 01-01-00, 02:47 PM

I think this is a great DVD of a movie that I avoided at the theater (dumb critics). There are plot holes you can have fun with, lots of action and gore if you like that and a great commentary track (up until the time Jackson's character gets eaten and he leaves it to Renny Harlin).

His self-mockery about the perfect "Wow" he utters is hilarious as well as his moving speech, just prior to being eaten, and there are a lot of other moments. I prefer to watch this one with others who like to "riff" dumb movies like they do on MST3K. Wouldn't you think they could release some of their chemical baddies into the water to ruin the shark's appetite?

The list of shark-bite victims was quite a surprise, and it was nice to see the cook (LL Cool J) defy his own prediction and survive.
Old 01-02-00, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

pleides . . .

L.L. Cool J. is DA MAN!!! I was glad a religious cook was able to survive through the chaos.

"Deepest, Bluest, my hat is like a shark's fin!!!"

Old 02-23-00, 10:12 PM

just watched this movie on DVD, well, I give it 5 out of 10. The plot really sucks (IMHO), and the acting is terrible (except Stellan Skarsgård, he is really a great actor). First, why Saffron Burrows had to take off her cloth (show off her body?) while the shark was around? Gosh it's just too obvious. The ending was also stupid. It's just not natural at all. I can't see why Saffron Burrows had to cut her hand and jump into the sea to sacrifice herself. It's just SO stupid (a normal human being won't do that, not to say that in the movie she is a doctor). The dialog is so fake too. You "feel" those actors are just "acting" instead of they are really in a real story. Anyway, gosh, am I disappointed with this film or what. The special effect is also terrible (the computer generated one, the "computer" shark shouldn't move so fast while the "mechanic" one moved so slowly. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-24-00, 06:24 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by hotister:
First, why Saffron Burrows had to take off her cloth (show off her body?) while the shark was around?<HR>

Are you kidding, that was a riot! "I've got to kill this shark... but first I must take off my clothes."

As least they tried to come up with a reason for her stripping. I'm still trying to figure out why Ripley had to strip down at the end of "Alien".
Old 02-24-00, 06:50 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by hotister:
First, why Saffron Burrows had to take off her cloth (show off her body?) while the shark was around?<HR>

I had to watch that scene several times to figure it out myself
Old 02-27-00, 04:00 PM

Regarding the ending, if you felt it was unnatural or stupid, maybe that's because it wasn't the original ending of the film. In the original ending, Saffron lives. But when they test-screened the movie, audiences wanted her dead, so they spent a couple million bucks filming that scene where she jumps in the water and gets chomped. I personally liked her character (i hate it when people think characters must die just because they have one little flaw or make one mistake--it's so 40's-ish) and would've liked the original ending on the DVD, at least.

--Apparition
Old 02-27-00, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One pathetic movie. Logic holes as large and numerous as swiss cheese. Wasn't that impressed by the action either

[This message has been edited by Jamezuva (edited February 27, 2000).]
Old 02-27-00, 06:23 PM

(SPOILER) i thought it was kinda cruel that girl had to get eaten, especially when we learn from the deleted footage that she was pregnant! That was MEAN!
Old 04-08-00, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the reason Saffron Burrows took off her clothes was that she needed an insulated place to stand when she sent the kazillion amps of electricity through the shark. Anyways, I'm glad she died because her character was such a plain dumb moron.
Old 04-09-00, 01:23 PM

I liked the movie. This is all about entertainment. Were there holes and flaws, sure. This was an old Navy base there would have been multiple escape paths between levels and circuit breakers when she stuck the power cord in the shark, but it's a movie. There are books about such flaws so it's nothing new. The film was fast paced and had a lot of shocks so I give it an 8 of 10.
Greg