Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Has anyone bought any of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers movies on DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Has anyone bought any of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers movies on DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-00, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have thought about buying the original and the 1978 remake of this movie. Are either worth it as far as video and audio go? I don't think either are 5.1. I thought of buying the third with Forest Whitaker and Jennifer Tilly, but the only reason I can come up with to justify purchasing it is Jennifer Tilly showing FFN-FULL FRONTAL NUDITY.
Old 04-08-00, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure which version you're talking about, but the newest remake ('94 or so) had Gabrielle Anwar nekkid. Mmmmmm...

- David Stein
Old 04-09-00, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Roger Ebert actually gave the '94 version 4 stars. I've only seen the first one, so I can't testify whether or not the new one is really any good.
Old 04-09-00, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Original version is good, nice transfer and a decent range of extras and of course it doesn’t hurt that it’s a bona fide classic. The Donald Sutherland re-make is a genuinely chilling movie, being much more biological than the first and contains one incredible freak-out moment which you will not forget. However the transfer is merely average and is not enhanced, although there is an excellent commentary track from the director Philip Kaufman. The Abel Ferarra version is certainly the nicest looking with an excellent anamorphic transfer, although for me the movie didn‘t hang together as well as the other two and Forest (What happened to my career?) Whitaker’s performance is so bad it has to be seen to be believed. In all it’s a reasonably efficient genre piece and has a few chills but I think The Puppet Masters approached the same subject matter in a better and funnier way, and it also starred Donald Sutherland!

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human

[This message has been edited by jonathan.e (edited April 09, 2000).]
Old 04-09-00, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
i have the 1978 version & i am very happy with it. it is dolby 2.0 if i remember correctly. the transfer is not the greatest but it is clean. cool menu screens & there is a commentary that i have not listened to yet. there is also a booklet & trailer. it is worth it if you like the movie. and i have heard that the 1978 version is either Out of print or is going OOP.