Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is Usual Suspects worth buying??!??Review Anyone

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Is Usual Suspects worth buying??!??Review Anyone

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-00, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there everyone. I am trying to decide if I should add this flick to my collection. I did do a past search and read like three reviews, but I want another round of opinions. I know it is a great film, but I am pickey when it comes to purchasing titles. Hows the sound for the most part and is the image acceptable. Thanks

Chili
Old 03-29-00, 10:32 AM

i have been holdin off on this title as well...mostly because it doesn't have 5.1 dd only 2.0 (i'm pretty sure)

i am waiting for a future SE version which then i will definately preorder.
Old 03-29-00, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hey 100th post cool!!! i hear yeah andromedas, that is the main reason why i'm holding out. i don't think there will be another one coming out though, because they just re-relesed this one last fall. so i don't know. i might take the plunge.
Old 03-29-00, 12:41 PM

The transfer is poor, artifacts and severe edge enhancement. A very good cast but for me the movie was very boring. Rent it and decide.
Old 03-29-00, 01:42 PM

This is one of my favorite films. It gets better with each viewing. Of course that is my opinion. I have the DVD but have not watched it. I assume the commentary is the same as the LD, which was very good.
Old 03-29-00, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Usual Suspects unfortunately amounts to nothing more than a filmmaker's trick on the audience (The Blair Witch Project, anyone?). Legions have tried to claim some sort of brilliance for it, but it's "gimmick" (which negates the entire film) is really nothing but a simple breach of long-observed movie etiquette.

------------------
"Editing is the foundation of the film art." --V. Pudovkin.
Old 03-29-00, 03:11 PM

The Usual Suspects is a great movie. The transfer looked fine to me, I didn't notice any artifacts or sever edge enhancement. At least not enough to call it poor. The sound is only 2.0 but the movie itself makes up for it. The movie is similar to the Sixth Sense because they both have twist endings but I found The Usual Suspects more entertaining. Comparing it to The Blair Witch Project is ridiculous.
Old 03-29-00, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like the movie a lot. It may cheat a little, but it's still entertaining as hell after many viewings--and Kevin Spacey is just too awesome in the film.

DVD quality isn't great; non-anamorphic, only 2.0 sound. Commentary is good though.
Old 03-29-00, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Do yourself a favor,

<blink>Go out and buy this movie!</blink>

It has to be one of my all time favorite movies, if you can't tell by my forum name.

(Signature withheld for SPECIFIC *spoiler* reason)
Old 03-29-00, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks gerbal. yes it is a good flick but i am concerned with the audio. now yes i am being picky but, i am a poor college grad who would rather spend money on the bang......and when i have some gcs/coups stored i will consider it again. thanks everyone for the input!

[This message has been edited by Chili Palmer (edited March 29, 2000).]
Old 03-30-00, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Comparing it to The Blair Witch Project is ridiculous.<HR>

My grouping of the two was in no way meant to draw a parallel between the quality of these two productions. I think it is obvious that The Usual Suspects far exceeds The Blair Witch Project in professionalism. I simply meant that The Usual Suspects, like The Blair Witch Project, is a "gimmick"-reliant sell job.

------------------
"Editing is the foundation of the film art." --V. Pudovkin.
Old 03-30-00, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's a good film, but I found it difficult to watch the first time round. After watching it 3 or 4 times I finally understood it. In other words it's hard to get into, but if you perservere it's worth it.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST
Old 03-30-00, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What it comes down to is whether or not you like the movie. Sure, the transfer leaves something to be desired, but it is still a step up from VHS. If you are a fan of this movie, I'd say go ahead and buy it. If you just kinda like it and could go years without the urge to see it, I'd pass and wait for a better version.

------------------
Adventure ... Excitement ... A Jedi craves not these things.
Old 03-30-00, 05:36 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of my buddies said this is one of his favorite movies (although I question his taste since he doesn't like The 'Burbs), and I usually like this type of movie; so I purchased it a while ago. I was pretty disappointed. It has some fine actors, but the story is slow and not that well developed IMO. The "twist" ending that so many people rave about is also quite predictable. I will watch it again with the commentary, but my initial review is that it is a rent first movie. YMMV.
Old 03-30-00, 05:56 PM
Cool New Member

The Usual Suspects is one of my all time favorites. It has a pretty cool story, incredible acting, and a great plot twist at the end that makes you look at the whole movie differently. I don't know much about the DVD quality, but seeing as it's not an effects laden action flick, less the optimal quality shouldn't really be a problem. In other words, it's not the eye and ear candy which make this film great.
Old 03-30-00, 10:56 PM

I thought The Usual Suspects was a good movie (even though I guessed the surprise about halfway through the film). It also has a lot of replay value too. The audio and video is pretty good, but 5.1 and anamorphic would be nice. The commentary is great. Considering it was just re-released by MGM, I doubt we'll see a new transfer for quite sometime. If you like the movie, the DVD is a good representation of it and worth acquiring. Good luck!

------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"
Old 04-01-00, 08:34 PM
Cool New Member

Some people are really hard to please. This movie is cinematic brillance. The script is so well written and structured, that it amazes me. The acting also brings this movie to the top of the list.

If you had any idea how hard it is to write a screenplay of this calibre, then you wouldnt dislike this movie.

Everyone has their own opinions though i guess

regards.

------------------
"The worst performance of my career and they never doubted it for a second"

-- Ferris Bueller