DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Reviews wanted for John Carpenter's THE THING! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/71188-reviews-wanted-john-carpenters-thing.html)

THX 1138 03-26-00 12:44 AM

Thank you in advance.

------------------
"THIS IS WHO WE ARE"

GeneralZod 03-26-00 01:44 PM

Hey, I don't have much time, but I can tell you the DVD is great. W/O going into much detail, the movie looks great, the commentary is awesome, and the featurette is pretty good. I definetly recomend it.

Calistoga 03-26-00 02:25 PM

This movie is great. Full of tension and suspense, with impressive (albeit gorey) special effects for it's day. Hoping they did a good job on the CE!

Orbi-Wan Techno 03-26-00 02:54 PM

Just got this in the mail yesterday through FREEDVDS.COM. Great movie, great documentary...

------------------
N2DVD 'cause may license plate says so!

terminator911 03-26-00 03:10 PM

This movie is really GREAT, definitely one of my favorites.

Spiderbite 03-26-00 05:25 PM

buy this dvd!!!! great movie, great effects, great picture, great sound & tons of extras. it also has one of the most enjoyable commentaries i have listened to. carpenter & russell sound like they are having a ball, talking old times over a beer or two. order now!!!!

Spiderbite 03-26-00 10:23 PM

you definitely should "SKIP IT" THX. this movie is actually interesting & is not a Criterion edition.

The Zizz 03-27-00 12:55 AM

Pretty good movie; scary as hell; great effects.

Tuan Jim 03-27-00 09:10 PM

I haven't seen the DVD, just the full version on Encore, and I'd say, i'd buy it just for the movie itself. I'm a fan of Kurt Russel and this was a great movie. Great effects and suspense. Keeps you on your toes.

Tuan Jim

------------------
Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
--Ash

kunert 03-28-00 02:20 PM

This is one of those cases of: If you have to ask, and you've sucessfully avoided seeing it this far, it might not be for you. It's widely recognized as not only one of John Carpenters best films, but one of the best of all time in the horror-sci/fi genre, and I concur. It's a perfect DVD except for not being anamorphic. The commentary and extras about making the special effects and the deleted stop-motion animaton scene are incredibly good.

Blade 03-28-00 03:21 PM

Thanks to the Columbia House deal I finally saw this movie for the first time a month or so ago.

While I thought it was ok I would have a hard time calling it great. In fact, I'm thinking of trading it away, but I wanted to go through the extra features first.

I think this may be a case of if you didn't see it when it first came out, then you may not care too much for it. Perhaps there have just been too many movies emulating elements of the Thing to make it seem "new" to someone only seeing it for the first time today.

------------------
-David
Other forum

kunert 03-28-00 03:45 PM

Yes, I am old enough to have seen it in the theaters when it came out. However, I did not enjoy it as much as Carpenter's Escape From New York at the time. For me it's a movie that only seems to get better with time as more and more poorly-made CGI films rip it off through the years. Unlike Blade, I would not hesitate to call it (or Escape from New York for that matter) "great". To say that it doesn't seem great because lots of other movies since have emulated it misses the point. It's not about state-of-the-art effects, it's the story and characters that make it suspenseful.

THX 1138 03-29-00 07:42 AM

Its a shame ET kicked the Thing's ass at the box office at that time. Well, maybe not, if the Thing made a lot of cash.... we might've seen a sequel long ago.

------------------
"THIS IS WHO WE ARE"