Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: "The Film Noir Of Anthony Mann"

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: "The Film Noir Of Anthony Mann"

Old 03-11-00, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This 2-DVD set includes 3 movies: "T-Men", "Raw Deal", and "He Walked Alone". Can anyone give me info on the transfers and the movies themselves?

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 03-11-00, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have this, though its been a while since I've watched it so bare with me.

As far as the DVDs go, they are barebones. I don't remember either menus or chapter stops. As far as the transfers go, while they certainly aren't free of knicks and scratches, they are pretty good for B pictures of that age. Comparatively, they as good or better than what you would see if you watched them on TCM, which means they are much better than if you watched a copy that you taped off of TCM. I'm not exactly sure if that is a glowing recommendation; but if you are worried, the Roan Group aren't Madacy or Fox Lorber. They do care about what they do.

As far as the films themselves go, they are pretty much must see (at the very least Raw Deal is.) He Walked by Night isn't officially directed by Mann, though he did a great deal of the work.

If you do not have it yet, I would also suggest you pick up, Mann's The Man from Laramie, which is fabulous.

Mann was one of the great director (especially of westerns), though he is somewhat forgotten today.

------------------
"If it were all in the script, why make the film?"--Nicholas Ray

[This message has been edited by Blip (edited March 11, 2000).]
Old 03-12-00, 08:37 PM

If you're a film noir fan, you should definitely get this set. The films are excellent, especially RAW DEAL. The transfers are quite good. I had only seen HE WALKED BY NIGHT in awful public domain transfers and it was great to see John Alton's luminous cinematography reproduced this well. There are no extras but after watching the movies I also had no complaints.

------------------

Old 03-12-00, 11:01 PM
classícman

I agree with Blip. You should see Mann's Westerns. I think they comprise his best work. Some are superb efforts. Of course we all know who directed the greatest number of great Westerns, don't we?

See signature below!

------------------
When asked by the reporters, "What brought you to Hollywood?", John Ford replied: "The Train"