Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with Anchor Bays transfer of ALOHA BOBBY & ROSE

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Disappointed with Anchor Bays transfer of ALOHA BOBBY & ROSE

Old 02-27-00, 06:17 PM

I have seen the film several times at the movie theatres, and on cable in the late 70's, mid 80's from columbia picture, and was very pleased with the VHS tape that came out on Media Videos way back in 85, but I was rather disappointed with Anchor bays transfer.

The film is a glitzy, neon feel that the video version from 1985 did a great job capturing, with hues of yellow, red, bright colors. But AnchorBays transfer was kind of VERY soft, also darker, hard to see than the old video copy, also greeny, bluish, when it should have been yellowish and red like it was in the movie houses. Sort of the same probelm SOYLENT GREEN ran into when it got re-mastered.

It is only "matted" widescreen, where you are losing the top and bottom without gaining any new info on the sides, and despite the soundtrack being re-channeled in stereo, which is a hugh plus, I wouldnt throw away your old VHS copy yet, for the color transfer is still better in the old VHS, as thats how I remember the film on cable and theatres.

just thought Id pass this info to you guys!

Still love hearing BENNY AND THE JETS on that films soundtrack! Bring back found memories of being a kid!