Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Sarah McLachlan's Mirrorball

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Sarah McLachlan's Mirrorball

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-00, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, here's my friend's response: I lent my friend the Sarah McLachlan Mirrorball concert DVD, and now he want to keep it because he loved it. Sheesh! Now I have to go out and buy another copy.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 02-26-00, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mirrorball is a very good DVD, though not perfect. Sarah MacLachlan performs most of her best songs with a more electronic feel. The 5.1 audio track has a very unsatisfying reverb sound in the surrounds. The stereo track sounds excellent. The video is somewhat soft, but still good. The DVD includes some good interviews but some have found this feature to be glitchy. I've never tried the multi-angle features.
Old 02-26-00, 11:00 PM

The video is about VHS quality. It isn't spectacular, but it isn't bad either. The 5.1 front soundstage sounds great. I'm highly disappointed in the use of surrounds. Unlike the other poster, I didn't notice reverb problems. However the crowd noise is done very poorly in the surrounds. It does not at all sound like you are sitting in the middle of a concert. The surround channels aren't nearly loud enough when the crowd cheers and applauds.

The DVD has lyrics on it. Unfortunately, they are only viewable through one of the menu pages. It would have been much nicer if they had made it into closed-captioning for a kareoke(sp) type feel.

I don't know, but I hear the DVD has more songs on it than the CD. If you like Sarah, do get this. It does sound good - much better than cd-quality. Again, I'm just disappointed with the lack of ambient concert feel.
Old 02-27-00, 01:56 PM

I found the video quality fine, but something seems to be quite compromised with the quality of the main vocal, IMHO. Does not compare to James Taylor or Joni Mitchell or even EmmyLou Harris in ProLogic on Sessions at West 54th.