DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"The Third Man": Criterion Collection- What a disc!

Old 11-27-99, 04:06 PM

I have always thought that this was & is an amazing film & I am very pleased at what kind of treatment it got from Criterion!

This movie showcases the greatest seen in movie history when Orson Welles' face shows up out of the dark! And of course the great music by the Zither or whatever the hell that instrument is. If you have not seen this movie, run your mouse on over to Netflix and rent this one up OR buy the darn thing. It is DEFINITELY worth it.

Check out all of the extras that are on it (cut & pasted from the Criterion website).

THE THIRD MAN - Carol Reed, 1949, B&W

Orson Welles stars as Harry Lime and Joseph Cotton plays his childhood friend, Holly Martins, in this fascinating thriller set in postwar Vienna, scripted by Graham Greene and directed by Carol Reed. Martins receives an urgent call to visit Lime, a black marketeer wanted by the police. But the word is that Lime has just been killed-or has he? THE THIRD MAN'S stunning cinematography and twisting plots are best enjoyed in this pristine edition of the 50th anniversary theatrical re-release.

*Luminous new transfer, with digitally restored image and sound
*Video introduction by writer-director Peter Bogdanovich
*Abridged recording of Graham Greene's treatment read by actor Richard Clarke
*THE THIRD MAN on the radio: (1) the 1951 "A Ticket to Tangiers" episode of The Lives of Harry Lime series, written and performed by Orson Welles: and (2) the 1951 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of THE THIRD MAN
*Joseph Cotton's alternate opening voiceover narration for the US version
*Archival footage of composer Anton Karas and the film's famous sewer location
*A collection of rare behind-the-scenes photos, with a brief production history
*Original and re-release theatrical trailers
*Restoration demonstration
*English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
*Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition
http://www.criterionco.com/

------------------
"I fart in your general direction... Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

MY LIST
Old 11-29-99, 05:04 PM
Cool New Member

your right on normy,that is the greatest moment in film history.it is funny that another great welles moment, the rosebud scene from citizen kane is also frequently mentioned when it comes to great scenes.i have been on the fence as whether to upgrade(i have the criterion laserdisc)it sounds like i should.by the way how long are the radio plays on the disc?
Old 12-01-99, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine should be in the mail 2nite...I can hardly wait. How's this for being eclectic. My two discs this week are (wait for it)...The Third Man and Caligula! Talk about two ends of the spectrum!
Old 12-01-99, 07:41 PM

This is one of the best films of all time, and Criterion has definitely done a good job with it. The image looks great--you can almost feel the moisture emanating from the cobblestone streets of Vienna. I cannot recommend a DVD more than this one; I haven't made it through all of the special features yet, but it is definitely the new highlight of my collection.

Scott
Old 12-02-99, 02:51 PM

If you're building a DVD library, this should be one of your first purchases. Criterion once again has a great transfer of a film that is one of the best arguments for the drama of black and white photography. Carol Reed's exteriors of dark and shadowy post-war Vienna are unforgettable.

Great script, great acting, great photography, great locations, great score, and DVD extras...well worth it.

Old 12-02-99, 03:46 PM

Yeah, but I can't seem to be able to get it for under $15! :-(

I may have to dig deep for this one though (even though I've never seen it)

Any word on Citizen Kane coming to DVD?
Old 12-02-99, 04:40 PM
classícman

That's funny - I wasn't too impressed with the DVD. Just kidding - I thought it was a superb transfer with excellent supplements.

I just wish all the Criterion editions were this good.

Old 02-14-00, 10:27 PM

I just got the Criterion version of the movie and watched it last night. It was a great movie - visually. But...What the hell was the director thinking when he/she (Carol?) picked that music that runs throughout the movie? To me, it takes away from the suspense. It sounds like a European version of dueling banjos. I couldn't help but think of Ned Beatty in Deliverance while watching The Third Man("You got a purdy mouth"). Anybody else?
Old 02-15-00, 10:13 AM

Sorry Whaler,

I loved the score. Can't imagine this film without it.

-Jon
Old 02-15-00, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad to hear so many liked The Third Man. I ordered it Sunday, along with Charade and Wages of Fear.
Old 02-16-00, 02:04 PM

I had never seen this film before I bought it. I had to wait 2 months to get it (CDNOW), but it was well worth the wait. I was blown away by the transfer and all of the extras. What a disk!!!
Old 02-16-00, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to agree, this disc is awesome!!!

Oh wait, that's right...I'm still waiting for my order I placed in late December from CDLater.......