Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

My Review of the anime Urotsukidoji Perfect Collection.

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

My Review of the anime Urotsukidoji Perfect Collection.

Old 01-25-00, 09:46 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Right off the top I would like to say that I loved this collection. This is my first experience into hentia (adult anime) and I, like many of you, was scared of what I would find. I am not a pervert, I am married, and have a child, but I have to say that this show was my favorite anime ever. I am a BIG fan of animation from Japan. Some of my favorite anime include Ninja Scroll, Grave of the Fireflies, Akira, Record of Lodus War, Ranma 1/2, and a great many others. I have collected these movies for a long time, and have seen over a hundred movies and OVA shows from Japan. I avoided hentia for the reason that many of you have. The idea of girls being forced to have sex with large tentacles was not my idea of fun. Even after watching the series, I believe that those parts could have been kept out, but they did not ruin the amazing story line, and overall coolness of Urotsukidoji.

Basically the show is about the three realms of the world, and a creature, called the Overfiend, who will bring them all together. First you have the demon realm, with colorful, and multi-shaped creatures that have to be some of the most disgusting ever drawn. Next you have the beast realm, which kind of rules the 3 realms (even if the humans do not know it). They look just like you and me, but have very small animalistic characteristics. Then you have the human realm. This realm is just like real life, with only a few of the humans aware of the other realms. This is a 5 part series, with episodes 1, 2 and 3 moving in a strait time-line, and episodes 4 and 5 being a sub-plot that happens sometime in between the 2 and 3 episode.(this part was confusing at first to me)

So why did I love this show? Why is it my favorite form of anime to date? Story line. The show is so well written, that it puts to shame many of the best Hollywood screenplays. It has the action and bloody feel of Ninja Scroll and Aikira, but with an even better story, and acting. The part that everyone fears is the sex. This is VERY graphic. The first 3 parts show everything, but there is a slight mist covering the actual insertions. You can still see what is happing, but not clearly. Episodes 4 and 5 have dark blotches you can not see through covering the actual sex. Is the sex that bad? Yes. Does it ruin the show? No, and in fact, it adds some emotional depth to it, that might not have been there if it was not included. I have read all over the internet that people that have seen this show do not consider it Hentia, and I have to agree. If you want action, story, and love...This is your show, and I recommend it HIGHLY. IF you have any more questions about it, email me at [email protected]
Old 01-25-00, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own the laserdisc of this series and the last two chapters (which comprise Urotsukidoji 2) are also slightly censored with the blotches. What makes this even weirder is the fact that I also own the feature film versions of the OVA for the first five chapters on videocassette and those same chapters are not censored at all!!!!

So the DVD is censored as well? That's depressing. Although the footage is extremely explicit, I prefer to see things in their full, uncut (where available, of course) versions.
Old 01-26-00, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It IS disapointing that these were optically censored, but I guess they plan to sell these versions in Japan too, so they didn't have much choice. My friend has a modded Pioneer player, and you have to deal with this with ALL content sold legally in Japan. He cussed up a storm when he realized his copy of Showgirls was optically censored. I agree with the content review stated above, and I also have to add that the transfer is VERY well done. Very detailed, and very colorful!

BTW, to get off on another topic, if Showgirls doesn't come out anamorphic in the US it's a crime, because the Japanese verion IS.
Old 01-27-00, 04:35 PM
gamer for life

Why edit two of the episodes, but leave the first three the same?
Old 01-28-00, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone else was talking about this in another thread. They believe that with episodes 4 and 5, they knew that it was going to be optically censored, so they didn't draw the areas that were going to be blocked over anyway!

This does make sense, because the other episodes aren't censored.
Old 01-28-00, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with foxdvd that this is one helluva anime DVD set and cannot be type-casted as hentai.

As for as the censoring goes, the first three episodes show the action but it seems to be viewed through a translucent veil. The last two episodes are not as explicit as the other three - there is more gore than sex in them.

While the 2 channel sound is pretty good, it'd sounded even better with a 5.1 sound like Ninja Scroll.

There are a couple of glitches in the DVD. If I choose the subtitle option from the DVD menu, I get the japanese soundtrack with both japanese subtitles (white) and english subtitles (yellow). You have to start the movie without subtitles and use the subtitle button on the remote to switch the english subtitles on.

All in all, a fantastic DVD set worth a viewing for anyone interested in anime.

-kinky
Old 01-29-00, 01:53 AM
gamer for life

what player do you have? I did not have that problem on my Sony...
Old 01-31-00, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's not a glitch. The Japanese subtitles are on the print, and the English goes over the top. It's VERY annoying, and I can't believe they left it that way.
Old 02-01-00, 03:08 PM
gamer for life

I do not think that is what kinky is talking about. I know that episode 4 does that, but he seems to say that you can remove them(which you can't) and that it is the whole show..not just the start of 4 (and 5 I think)..read his post again..unless he posted wrong..
Old 02-01-00, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is only an option for english subtitles ELECTRONICALLY. The scene he's talking about takes place in Nazi Germany, and the dialogue is actually in German, which they subtitle in Japanese on the print. The problem is that they put the electronic English subtitles OVER the Japanese subtitles. You can barely read them.
Old 02-03-00, 03:31 AM
gamer for life

yeah..I know what you are talking about,,I was just messed up with his post..it does not make sense..
Old 02-03-00, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

foxdvd, Electric2k
Sorry, I did not revisit the thread to post my response.

Let me clarify.

From the Disc's Main Menu, when choose the "Play with Subtitles" option, the disc plays with both the Japanese and the English subtitles - one on top of the other. This happens only in episode 4.

The workaround I found was to play the movie without subtitles and then use the subtitle button on the remote to turn them on while the movie is playing.

I did not spend much time investigating this, but will give the discs another twirl tonight when I get home and post the results here.

-kinky

FYI- I play these on a Toshiba 2109.
Old 02-03-00, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmmm...you got me intrigued here. It looked like the Japanese subtitles weren't electronic, but I'll check it out when I get home.
Old 02-03-00, 06:00 PM
gamer for life

YEAH!!! As soon as I get home, I am going to try that to..I hope it works, because it drives me NUTS...
Old 02-03-00, 07:49 PM

I just got my copy in the mail today... and the Japanese subtitles are NOT electronic (or removable) because they are on the actual print, so they will display no matter what. The English subtitles ARE electronic. (I can tell with the zoom feature on my Toshiba, because the captions/menu arrows do not move with the enlarged picture.)
Old 02-05-00, 10:25 AM

Hey guys-
I was wondering if anyone could comment on how the Urotsukidoji series compares to the La Blue Girl hentai anime series (I believe they are both from the same director and the same studio). I once owned the 3 La Blue Girl DVDs and I thought they were crap. Is Urotsukidoji more of the same thing? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

- FDC
Old 02-05-00, 07:18 PM
gamer for life

I just watched the first La Blue girl on dvd, and it is crap in my opinion. Much more graphic, sex wise, then Urotsukidoji, and NO story or plot to speak of when compared to this masterpiece. If you were put-off by the graphic nature of La Blue Girl, then skip Uro...BUT, if the main reason you did not like Blue was because the story and acting, and everything sucked..then Urotsukidoji is for you..
Old 02-11-00, 03:31 PM
gamer for life

is there any other anime series like Urotsukidoji?
Old 02-12-00, 10:44 PM

I just finished watching this series myself and thought it was great.
Hmm, is there any more?
The ending is obviously a lead-in to more,
and if there is more, when will it be available on DVD? (Unless of course it is now...
Ooooh, that last villian got on my nerves though, with the cousin thing and all. I rather *enjoyed* the cousin as he was for the first while, damn demons, damn them to hell!

Adam Burakowski