Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions/list of high quality concert DVD?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Any suggestions/list of high quality concert DVD?

Old 01-10-00, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't crossed into the music side of DVD's yet (and have no interest in transfers of videos) so I was wondering if there is a consensus of the top concert DVDs .. in terms of quality of video and sound. Obviously taste in music is another ball of wax, best not gotten into here!

Thanks
Old 01-10-00, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Would you like actual reviews of the top concert DVDs? If not, let me know and I'll move this to the Talk forum.

--Heather
Old 01-10-00, 10:41 PM

Frank_M, it would depend on your taste in music. The Eagles - Hell freezes over is a good one.
Greg
Old 01-10-00, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 918 Likes on 564 Posts
i bought my first concert dvd the other day & it was the above mentioned one....the eagles, hell freezes. the sound is awesome. it is dts but if you have the hardware, definitely check it out. only one ive gotten so far.
Old 01-10-00, 10:54 PM
alanbenson

The recent Cher video concert has gotten rave reviews for sound and picture clarity from several folks in the forum.

My favorite concert movie is Stop Making Sense. Haven't seen the DVD yet, but it's had only glowing notices...<small>

[This message has been edited by alanbenson (edited January 10, 2000).]
Old 01-10-00, 11:18 PM

james taylor live at beacon theatre roy orbison black and white night music for montserat eric clapton and friends and still in awe of the big O DVD
Old 01-11-00, 12:52 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, they just don't come any better than U2: RATTLE AND HUM. Be advised, however, that this film was intentionally filmed on very grainy stock so, as good as the transfer is, if you're looking for a reference quality picture, this ain't the disc that's going to deliver it.

www.dvdtracker.com/~filmmaker
www.laserdisctracker.com/~filmmaker.asp
Old 01-11-00, 12:57 AM

Metallica's Stunning C--er, Cunning Stunts is pretty cool. Good audio transfer. Video is full-screen (were you expecting a widescreen concert?), audio in either 5.1 or dolby stereo, two discs (lots of songs!), behind the scenes notes, and the alt-angle work is pretty unique: instead of alternate angles of the whole band, the alt views go to groups of cameras trained on each band member. Thus, View1 = Whole Band, View 2= hetfield, View 3= Hammet, View 4= newstead View 5= Ulrich, and each view is several cameras intercut. I thought that was pretty cool.

[This message has been edited by thominator (edited January 10, 2000).]
Old 01-11-00, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I`ve said it many times before and I`m happy to say it again, in terms of audio and video quality, special features, and content itself, the best music DVD by far is:

KING CRIMSON - DEJA VROOOM
Old 01-11-00, 09:38 AM

Thanks everyone, those are good suggestions (keep them coming!). There are plenty of places for reviews of movies on DVD.. but in terms of concerts like this, I think they sort of slip through the cracks.
Old 01-11-00, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2 best are Cher and Fleetwood Mac. Both rock the house

------------------
Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD Tracker list
Old 01-11-00, 01:34 PM

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Although it is not in DTS there are several different mixes. Plus lots of extras. One of the best concert films ever!
Old 01-12-00, 11:41 PM
Sem

Let me add Donna Summer's VH-1 concert to the list - outstanding dvd from Sony-Epic.
Old 01-13-00, 02:28 PM

Thanks again, all
This is turning into an excellent thread... not that the "all the coupons are gone" posts aren't really insightful and informative. :-)
Old 01-14-00, 02:52 AM

The best of the lot is as some of you have pointed out Metallica: Cunning Stunts - just can't wait for that S&M disk to be released...

If you have access to Region 2 titles (and can play them); The Corrs - Live At Royal Albert Hall is also a great pick featuring both PCM and 5.1 tracks that will blow you away!

I also find Riverdance a nice disk (even 16:9 enhanced!) even though the 5.1 track could have been better (I usually listen to the 2.0 track and find that just as good if not better)
Old 01-16-00, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

()*&#$)(*#$^ damn!!! I LOVE the Corrs...and my player is region 1 coded...are dvd-roms regionally coded too cuz i'm getting one w/ my new computer system...
Old 01-17-00, 02:39 PM

Most dvd rom drives are region selectable, to an extent. There is usually a set amount of times that you are able to change your region, but there are ways around that. I suggest you check out the following URL for more (vast amounts) of information:
http://dvdutils.com/mirror2.htm

I hope this helps you out. One suggestion: Don't be scared to try to do this. It may seem to be an overwhelming task because there are so many resources and so much information at your fingertips. Take your time to really familiarize yourself with the process and what you are actually doing, and you should be fine. If you screw something up, you can always re-install the software that came with your machine. Oh, yeah, make sure you find a player which was designed to take advantage of your specific video card, if you can.

------------------
A future resident aboard the Freedom Ship. See www.freedomship.com for more information regarding this mind-blowing project.
Old 01-17-00, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone seen Alice in Chains: Unplugged? I'm considering that one...
Old 01-17-00, 09:56 PM
Cool New Member

Come on... No Sarah McLachlan fans here ?
Get Mirrorball. Very cool disk and happens
to be in 5.1 digital.
Old 01-18-00, 10:30 AM

I own a few dvds and have always fired up Sarah Mclachlan,Mirrorball for a few of my friends looking for a great disk...

Multi-angle camera viewing
5.1 surround sound
full motion menu
interview
photo gallery
discography
lyrics

I think this disk is "The one to have" when showing off a Home Theater system. The sound is awesome!!!!

Old 01-18-00, 03:47 PM

One more enthusiastic endorsement for "Stop Making Sense." I have "Mirrorball" and "Sheryl Crow" both of which are fine concerts with good sound, etc., but neither can hold a candle to SMS -- a brilliant concert, a brilliant film (the director is Jonathon Demme, who made "Silence of the Lambs" among others), and a really wonderful DVD, loaded with extras.

For what it's worth, DVD Verdict (www.dvdverdict.com), which review and rates hundreds of DVDs, give SMS a score of 96, which places it #2 among all the DVDs they have reviewed (#1 is "12 Monkeys").
Old 01-19-00, 05:07 AM

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Bee Gees: One Night Only, which is one of my favorite and has two versions of DD5.1 and dts you can choose from. I would also recommend Best of Sessions at West 54th vol. 1(featuring such various artists as Susan Vega, Keb-Mo, Sinead O'conner, Yo-Yo Ma, Wynton Marsalis, etc.), which quality(video/audio) is more than outstanding.

If you like classical or crossover music, you should buy both
Charlotte Church: Voice of an Angel in Concert and Sarah
Brightman: Eden
. The latter is packed with a normal Keep/Sanp
Case sized jewel case called Super Jewel Case. It's cool...
Old 01-19-00, 09:14 PM

John Fogerty: Premonition

My most played concert/music disc. It helps to be a big CCR fan as well.

Mayniac
Old 01-19-00, 09:48 PM

Metallica's Cunning Stunts and Sarah Mclachlan's Mirrorball. Great, outstanding concert DVD's that will blow your speakers away. And a very good performance, indeed.

You know what? I didn't know that Mirrorball was AC-3. I thought it was just dolby surround. It also outlines this on the cover. However, actually, it's 5.1! Thanx guys!!

------------------
Anamorphic DVD's make
customers happy~! ^^;
Old 01-20-00, 05:46 PM

Hmmm I like Sarah Mclachlan and all but I was a bit disappointed by the picture and to a lesser extent the audio quality on this disc. The colours seemed a bit pixelated under the spotlighting, maybe watching it on my PC monitor which can show those details didn't help.

Then again maybe comparing it to the DTS Hell Freezes over was its undoing. No comparison in sound or image quality. Too bad I prefer Sarah's music.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.