Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Drop Dead Gorgeous: A few bucks and a few hours I'll never get back...

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Drop Dead Gorgeous: A few bucks and a few hours I'll never get back...

Old 01-05-00, 02:18 PM

Received 732 Likes on 481 Posts
I was really excited to see this movie, so I tried to talk my wife into going with me to see it in the theatres. But she thought it looked too dumb.

My wife and her friends have been involved with pageants for the last 4 years, one of her friends even went to the state pageant for Miss America (the one with the talent). So we thought it would be a funny take on pageants.

Oops.

Anyway, we sat down last night and watched it (I rented it from Hastings).

He's my 2 cents...

To get the tech things out of the way... it was nice to see that we could choose between WIDESCREEN and STANDARD without flipping the disc, and the transfer was really good and the sound was sharp. The interface was mildly ammusing. The extras we're non-existant, except for the standard cast & crew -- of which you can see the trailers to Deconstructing Harry (from Kirstie Alley) and Wag the Dog (from Kirsten Dunst).

The film itself was almost to the point of horrid. I liked the 'documentary' feel at first, but it started to wear on me. The fake "Minnie-sO-taaan" accent was unbelievably baaad. I just could not believe that alot of the actors in this said yes to the script...

Except for Denise Richards... this role fit her perfectly. And to jump from this movie to a Bond flick!?!? Ouch. (FYI -- I like TWINE, but did not like her in it!)

IMHO, William Sasso (MadTV) stole the show as Hank Vilmes, the town retard and son of one of the judges. I about died laughing at the scene where his overalls get caught in the door of the truck right before the parade.

This is one of those films where you wait until someone else buys its or rents it and lets you borrow it, and if you have a couple of hours to KILL, go ahead.

At least Will is really funny.

<hr>

"The retard has his pants completely off."

[This message has been edited by Goldberg74 (edited January 05, 2000).]
Old 01-05-00, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, that's exactly what my friend said as we exited the theaters (well not exactly, but he hated it). On the other hand, I loved it. Thought Denise Richards was great (her only good acting of her career to date) and really enjoyed the movie as a whole. The reason my friend hated it (I think) is because he really didn't get everything that was going on. I enjoyed it and although I've got the DVD, I have yet to watch it.

Blake Kunisch | | |
<small>Special Editions Thread | DVD Reviews</small>
In Theaters Now Forum Moderator
Old 01-05-00, 08:13 PM
reliquary

I was rather disappointed in this movie as well. The previews had me thinking it would be a constant fight between Dunst and Richards, instead that was all but one scene which was shown in the trailer. The movie was c-o-r-n-y.

------------------

And there's too much going on,
but it's calm under the waves,
in the blue of my oblivion
Old 01-05-00, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought most of the humor in DDG fell pretty flat and the documentary format didn't work either. I don't mind the sick and twisted stuff, but it seemed like it wasn't spontaneous enough and there wasn't much point behind it.

One scene that was really funny to me was when Denise Richards is dancing around with that Jesus statue on wheels. It was just so weird; I thought that scene was a good barbecue of pagaents even if the rest of the movie wasn't. I think about that part now and then and laugh but I've already forgotten most of the rest of this one....
Old 01-07-00, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To all of you who LIKE this movie...go out and find Waiting for Guffman. It's not out on DVD yet, but it is VASTLY superior to this film, but is made in a similar style.
Old 01-07-00, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think it is very good, but I didn't find "Drop Dead Gorgeous" to be horrible. My biggest complaints are of the script (which was too restrained, it seemed to me that the screenwriter was too inhibited, and the quirkiness too calcuated, if the script was less restrained it could have worked as a satire instead of a mediocre comedy) and Kirstie Alley's horrid performance.

--Heather
Old 01-07-00, 08:16 PM

I didn't see DDG at the cinema, but I made the mistake of buying the dvd after seeing some positive reviews. I wasn't impressed at all with this film. I thought it was slow moving, dull witted, and humourless.

The good part is I managed to sell the dvd, so that part of my life is behind me now ;-)
Old 01-08-00, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>I wanted to see who the director was and what do you know it was Michael Patrick Jann(Denise Richard's father in the movie).<HR>

Veteran actor Sam McMurray, not director Michael Patrick Jann, plays Mr. Leeman in the movie.

--Heather
Old 01-10-00, 01:30 AM

I like bad comedies, the kind where there is humor thats not really funny in real life, but it is in a movie (retard being taunted by kids/eating disorder). This movie had enough to be taken lightly, I liked it all except Kirstie Alley's performance, I'm not sure whose crack pipe she was hitting during filming, but it was some bad stuff. I saw the angle she wanted, but she sure didn't get anywhere near it for most of the movie, there were a couple instances where it fit, but for the most part it didn't. Kirsten Dunst on the other hand hit this one right on, a great young actress, who I also found great in Dick, can't believe she was only 16-17 when those movies were made! I would expect great things from her. If you don't like the movie though I think its only a couple hours at most you lose, not a few. This one is a keeper in my book. And the beer can had me rolling, until they decided she still should have it at the pageant.
Old 01-31-00, 08:03 PM
Modfather

Yet another movie I like that the majority didn't. If anyone wants to trade me (or give me! theirs, see my Exchange thread: http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/004703.html

Although I have to admit the documentary approach was useless, IMHO. And the "dancing with Jesus" part had me LMAO!
Old 01-31-00, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought this movie was awfull. It was a real dissapointment. Luckily I rented it so I only wasted $2.00.
Old 01-31-00, 09:46 PM

I knew nothing about the movie and loved it (got it free from Cameraworld, so the money thing wasn't lurking in my mind). Granted the accents got to be a little much, but the same could be said about Fargo and that is a great movie. I'm curious if the people who hated it, hated Waiting For The Guffman or This Is Spinal Tap too? I'm not saying this movie is in the same league as This is Spinal Tap, but it was in the same sport.
Old 02-01-00, 03:29 AM

All right, I didn't hate it, but I don't know if I'd recommend it to Guffman or Tap fans. In fact, since I am such a fan of the two noted films that it made me more acutely aware of DDG's flaws. For instance, much of the camera work was far too elaborate for a low budget documentary. And the use of current alternative rock music on the soundtrack seemed inappropriate to creating any sort of a mood and smacked mostly of pandering to what it assumes to be its key demographic audience. This might sound like nitpicking, but imagine Tap and Guffman(with the exception of the performance scenes) if they hadn't been done in single handheld camera shots. It wouldn't have been as believable and therefore, not as funny.
However, I did enjoy several of the performances, such as Kirsten Dunst, Allison Janney, and Matt Malloy as the pedophile judge. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Reese Witherspoon's character in Election also have an unhealthy obsession with Diane Sawyer? Interesting trend.