Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Video Essentials: Is it worth it?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Video Essentials: Is it worth it?

Old 01-19-00, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone used Video Essentials to improve the performance of their HT?
Old 01-19-00, 01:35 PM
Banned

VE is expensive and you'll need and SPL meter to get the most out of it but I for one think it's worth every penny (make sure and use a coupon.)

I don't have the most advanced HT setup and my room is small and rather oddly shaped so I wasn't expecting VE to be able to make much difference. Boy was I wrong! After using the disc to calibrate my TV the picture is _much_ crisper and cleaner. On the audio side the difference is even more pronounced. VE helped me get the volumes of all of my speakers dialed in just right and really went a long way toward seting up my sub to integrate with the other speakers.

You'll probably only use VE a couple of times (you should go through it a second time about three months after the first run to recheck your settings) but it's well worth the price of admission.

Hope that helps!

------------------

Web-Today Destinations: Best of the Web, Seven Days a Week!
Old 01-19-00, 02:17 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jambalaya:
Has anyone used Video Essentials to improve the performance of their HT?<HR>

I thought I was a very good HT setup person, but was I wrong! I bought VE and now my once "PERFECT" HT is now even more "PERFECT" than it was before VE. You will need a "Sound Level Meter" to get the most out of the audio adjustment, and you can get one at a local RADIO SHACK. The picture adjustment portion of VE is definitely a must do. You get better, clearer, sharper images if you spend the time to use VE to adjust it.

Hope this help.

"What do you call DVDs that disappear without a trace?"

"Stolen DVDs"

Old 01-19-00, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just picked up a used copy from another member and so far rest my TV and it looks great. I just picked up the sound meter so i still have to do the speakers, but yes it's worth it.

------------------
Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD Tracker list
No, Star Wars is not on DVD, get over it.
Old 01-19-00, 04:57 PM

Off topic, but how much does the sound level meter cost in the states? I've checked once here in Norway and found one at like $90 - might just be worth the hazzle getting it imported...
Old 01-19-00, 05:07 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Flintstone:
Off topic, but how much does the sound level meter cost in the states? I've checked once here in Norway and found one at like $90 - might just be worth the hazzle getting it imported... <HR>

It's ranges from $34.00 (analog) to $50 (digital) dollars. I went with the analog model and it works fine. Who needs digital readout?

"What do you call DVDs that disappear without a trace?"

"Stolen DVDs"

Old 01-20-00, 11:13 PM
Ash

Sounds like a good rental to me. This could even be posted in Bargains given the money you could save by renting it instead of buying it!

------------------
"The name's Ash, Housewares"
My Dvds
Old 01-21-00, 08:00 PM

I personally don't have VE, I bought Avia Guide to Home Theater, I'm told it is better for audio set up. I managed to get an SPL meter from work, but as it says on AVIA, buy an analog meter from Radio Shack, they are cheap and work great.
Old 01-22-00, 05:09 PM

If you have a 27" TV with no surround sound then NO. If you have a 32" or larger and or have a 5.1 set up then yes.