Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is it worth buying "Urban Legend" (Reel has it for $12.49)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Is it worth buying "Urban Legend" (Reel has it for $12.49)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-00, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do like the movie, and most important how is the DVD?
Old 01-13-00, 12:42 AM
reliquary

I thought the transfer and audio on the DVD were fine. The movie is as good as any other teen-horror flick.
Old 01-13-00, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As reliquary stated, if you are a fan of this genre, "Scream" or "I Know What You Did . . . " you will most likely enjoy this film.

As for the DVD, it's a Columbia/Tri-Star release . . . this means a great anamorphic transfer and excellent DD 5.1!!!
Old 01-13-00, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the film was pretty awful, but, then again, I'm not a fan of slasher movies. The idea of using urban legends as a basis for the murders seemed somewhat original, so it has that going for it, I guess. However, just because an idea is original does not mean that it's good, nor does it guarantee that it will be executed well (which it wasn't). That said, it's not really any worse than the glut of teen slasher films that flooded theaters in the last couple years. If you enjoyed the other films that made up this craze, you'll probably like this one, too. The DVD has a good picture and sound transfer. As for extras, it includes a behind the scenes documentary and a commentary with the director and screenwriter.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 01-13-00, 06:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This was one of the first DVDs I rented w/ my free rentals (from buying the player). While it was a "fun" movie, I'm glad I didn't purchase it. It's just not the kind of movie I'd purposely watch again. The commentary was fun though, from what I remember... As mentioned above though, if you like those kind of movies you can't go wrong for that price. Plus, if you have a "trivia coupon" coming your way, you REALLY can't go wrong for $2.49
Old 01-13-00, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
rent before you by unless you are a huge fan of slasher flicks. this is your normal paint by numbers horror movie. not too bad but not great either. the commentary is a little interesting but a little tedious as well. 3 guys talking & it is easy to confuse them from time to time. some small insights into filmmaking if you are a wanna-be future filmmaker. the guys are definitely excited about what they did. deleted scenes are nothing special & neither is the making of featurette. no tits & ass either which was a little disappointing. check it out though...you may love it. the audio & picture quality is excellent.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~brianluvdvd

[This message has been edited by brianluvdvd (edited January 13, 2000).]
Old 01-13-00, 01:47 PM

Thanks for those who replied, I think I'll rent it instead. It would have cost me a whopping $6.35 for the dvd including ca tax, shipping, and trivia thingy vs. free for renting (BB coupons) :-)

thanks again