Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Dangerous Beauty

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Dangerous Beauty

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-00, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm tempted to get this as I'm a big fan of medieval dramas and it's priced at $13.99. However I'm a bit put off by the cheesy title and cover photo. Is it worth buying on DVD, do you think?
Old 01-07-00, 07:56 AM

Hi Anali,

I suggest you rent it first then make your decisions afterwards. I enjoyed it bec. Cathy McCormack is great here as well as Rufus Sewell. BTW this movie was shown here in Manila as A Destiny of Her Own.
Old 01-07-00, 09:57 AM

I'm under the impression that the single biggest reason this movie died at the box office is because of the title. Let's face it, it's generic as hell. Okay, the marketing could have used some work too since I hadn't heard of it until a co-worker told me about it when he saw it on HBO.

As far as the movie goes, it's quite good. I'm starting to become a Catherine McCormick fan, and she's excellent in it. I think Ebert gave it 4 stars, and on this movie, I'd agree with him (9/10). Even though it's probably a Hollywoodized version of that era, I felt like I learned something new after seeing it. As far as the disc goes, it's anamorphic enhanced at 2.35, and DD 5.1 sound. The extras aren't too much, but the price is good. The sound is not aggressive, but of good quality. The video is mostly clean though a tad soft in certain parts. The outstandingly vibrant colors or the costumes and cinematography more than make up for that.

There's also a brief appearance by "Providence" 'haughhhty' Melina Kanakaredes.
Old 01-07-00, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, that's all the convincing I needed to go and use up my last DVDExpress coupon on it -- total shipped is $5.93. Renting isn't an option as the DVD rentals in my area aren't well-stocked, and the titles they do have are usually mainstream action types.

On Catherine McCormick -- I've never come across her before. What movies has she appeared in?

One other question: is Dangerous Beauty too raunchy for family viewing? Which other costume drama could you say is most similar to it, perhaps Wings of the Dove, or more of like, Restoration?
Old 01-07-00, 08:14 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by anali:
Renting isn't an option as the DVD rentals in my area aren't well-stocked, and the titles they do have are usually mainstream action types.
<HR>

Try looking into Netflix.com. They have some pretty decent first-time renter incentives and they offer just about everything on DVD. The prices are comparible to Blockbuster, but you get to keep the movies longer and the selection is 1000% better. Plus it's alot more convenient.

Old 01-07-00, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Catherine McCormick played Mel Gibson's wife in Braveheart. And no, Dangerous Beauty is not appropriate for general family viewing. It is very sexually-oriented. It's quite a nice little film, however.
Old 01-08-00, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by That Duck Guy:
Try looking into Netflix.com.
<HR>

Thanks for the Netflix recommendation, Duck Guy.
Unfortunately, I don't think Netflix would be willing to ship to the Philippines.

Robert -- do you know of any good DVD rental stores in the Quezon City area?
Where do you rent yours from? I used to frequent ACA Video for VHS, but lately I haven't checked if they've updated to DVD yet. Better yet -- do you lend out your DVDs?

[This message has been edited by anali (edited January 07, 2000).]
Old 01-10-00, 09:14 AM

"Dangerous Beauty" is in that mid range of sex in movies. You can watch it with the old folks without getting too embarrassed, but definitely not with the youngsters. Similar to the level of "Elizabeth" or "The Thomas Crown Affair '99". Definitely unlike "American Pie" in which I'd die if my parents were in the room watching it with me.
Old 01-13-00, 12:00 AM

i'd highly recommend this film, this has a
mature topic, but i have recomended this film to my friends and they also liked it

------------------
BENTLY'S DVD LIST