Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Best Universal Collector's Editions

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Best Universal Collector's Editions

Old 01-10-00, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think are the top 5 or 10? Film and extras. No reviews. Just titles and comments.

[This message has been edited by cosmo (edited January 11, 2000).]
Old 01-10-00, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you looking for reviews of them or is this just a poll? "Psycho" (1960) and "Vertigo" are two of the best Collector's Editions that I have. Excellent visual/audio quality and lots of supplementary materials. I also have Universal CE's of "Fried Green Tomatoes," "Gods and Monsters," "Out of Sight" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" and I'm impressed with them all.

--Heather
Old 01-10-00, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Universal also did a great job on the Collector's Editions of "The Boxer" and "The Apostle".

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp

[This message has been edited by Gamblor187 (edited January 10, 2000).]
Old 01-10-00, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Heather I think this topic will inflate at dvdtalk forum

Old 01-10-00, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sonic,

Yes, that is quite apparent. However, I'm not moving it until I know whether or not cosmo is looking for reviews or, as I inquired about above, just general answers.

--Heather
Old 01-10-00, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I own the following Universal CE's(Which I love, BTW )

The Blues Brothers - Great Film, Music has never been better. Contains an average documentary and the typical trailer, etc. As a Universal CE, it's rather weak but a treat for any fan of the film like myself.

1941 - Just got it a couple weeks ago, and have yet to look at it, supposedly the transfer is sub-par

12 Monkeys - One of the best, great transfer, sound, supplements are fabulous

Apollo 13 - Again, a great collection extras-wise and a great demo for your system. The documentary is great as are the two informative commentaries.

Dragonheart - The Film's okay, but the sound and extras don't disappoint

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - Just got this, film looks pretty good, and the sound is mono. I like the menus, the extras were good, though certainly nothing to write home about.

EDTV - The film's average, but without a doubt one of the best discs, supplement wise. Fine commentaries, documentary, 20+ minutes of deleted scenes, etc.

The Mummy - Great Over-all disc

Psycho98 - Good disc, great menus. The film obviously doesn't live up to the original, but I like it for different reasons. Looks great, sounds great and it has some good extras.

Psycho/Vertigo - top of the line

So my top five are Vertigo, Apollo 13, 12 Monkeys, Psycho, and DragonHeart

_PEAT_
Old 01-10-00, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would have to go with Mallrats and 12 Monkeys. Boths discs have great video, audio and tons of extras.

------------------
-DVDjunkie21
My DVD List
Old 01-10-00, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Liar Liar SE
The Last Starfighter
Bowfinger
Dragon Heart
American Pie Unrated
Old 01-10-00, 11:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's see... top 5 in order (based on movie and the DVD features):

Blues Brothers
12 Monkeys
Apollo13
Tremors
The Mummy
Old 01-11-00, 12:56 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This may sound like a cop-out answer, but I don't think there's such a thing as a bad Universal Collector's Edition DVD (criticism of SCARFACE's transfer notwithstanding)--however, five really superb examples that come to mind are 12 MONKEYS, John Carpenter's THE THING, THE MUMMY (1999), MALLRATS, and Alfred Hitchcock's PSYCHO.

www.dvdtracker.com/~filmmaker
www.laserdisctracker.com/~filmmaker.asp
Old 01-11-00, 09:53 AM

Let's also not forget those great Universal Classic Monsters Special Editions. That's definitely a set that I'm going to keep up with. For those not keeping track, so far they've released Dracula, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, and The Mummy on great special edition disks. All of them feature audio commentary, a historical featurette (running about 30 minutes each), production art, trailers...etc.

I just got around to watching The Wolf Man last night...man, that's a really great movie (in my opinion)...

But to answer your question about the regular Universal Collector Editions, some of my favorites are:

Mallrats:I'd heard about the original start to this movie for years and this disk finally brought it out for all to see. The deleted scenes, along with the production featurette (that actually has a disclaimer from the studio on it), along with the audio commentary and other features puts this as the top Universal CE in my collection. The movie is pretty danged funny too. If you don't agree with that...I'll stink palm ya!

12 Monkeys:This is probably by far the most watched disk in my collection. This movie just astounds me....afterwards I always keep thinking about what happenned after the movie was over...what did the future hold for those characters? The disk isn't too shabby either. The commentary with Gilliam is one of the best I've listened too and the production featurette is superb as well. Highly Recommended

Vertigo: Excellent movie, excellent presentation, nice features...recommended.

Out of Sight:I think I was about the only person who saw this in the theater (joking of course). This is one of the slickest and most entertaining films I've seen in a while. Thumbs up all the way around. Well, with the one exception...I wish they would use the theatrical poster artwork for cover! That was one of the nicest posters in ages!
Same thing goes for Vertigo...they did a re-packaging and the new release now doesn't have the Saul Bass poster design. Universal, you are insane to take that off! Did you fail to notice that all the menu designs played off of that cover!? Oh well...the disks are still great!

------------------
"You're a mean one, Mr. Finch"

[This message has been edited by Mr.Finch (edited January 11, 2000).]
Old 01-11-00, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Vertigo and Psycho are certainly great DVDs, as is The Blues Brothers, I would have to put
To Kill a Mockingbird right up there as far as extras.
Old 01-11-00, 12:03 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVDer:
Are you looking for reviews of them or is this just a poll? "Psycho" (1960) and "Vertigo" are two of the best Collector's Editions that I have. Excellent visual/audio quality and lots of supplementary materials. I also have Universal CE's of "Fried Green Tomatoes," "Gods and Monsters," "Out of Sight" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" and I'm impressed with them all.

--Heather
<HR>

Just general answers. No reviews.

Old 01-11-00, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for answering, I'm moving this to the Talk forum.

--Heather