Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Modern Vampires

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Modern Vampires

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-99, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I'm at the bottom of my "want list", and I'm looking for a DVD to spend some money on...

So anyone see this one yet? There's only one review on IMDB, basically saying it's "ok" if you don't have high expectations. I like obscure vampire movies, so I'm thinking this might do the trick.

Anyone see this yet?
Old 12-19-99, 08:03 PM

I've seen this movie last summer at a festival and I really liked it... Well I can't say my expectation we're really high but still i was really surprised. Mostly it's an alternative takes on the vampire lifestyle. It's done with humor and in my opinion done in a way no one else did it before. If you generally love vampire movie you should love this one!
Old 12-20-99, 02:01 AM
Banned

Super-lame.

Only a few chuckles. Could of been maybe half-decent if it had a good director.
Old 12-24-99, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
I rented it the other night and didn't really care for it. It had its moments, but as a whole, I was disappointed. A lot of the acting was fairly poor too, even from the top-billed people...
Old 12-24-99, 07:52 PM
Cool New Member

You guys missed the total point of the movie. It's supposed to seem cheesy and poorly acted. Richard Elfman made the film as a satire/tribute to the vampire movies he loves. It's not a serious movie at all, it's a satire, not only of vampire/horror movies, but also the decadent lifestyle in the circles of Hollywood. You can just dismiss it, but what I say is the truth, the man told me himself.

------------------
Old 12-25-99, 03:50 AM
Banned

Sorry, but I got that that was the point of the film. That's why I said it needed a better director.
Old 12-27-99, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is easily the worst, most artistically repugnant film I have ever seen. It's attempts at satire & spoof are really poor excuses for a really bad film. The only good part about this film is that Rod Steiger gets to act like a loon & provides a great deal of comedy in his over the top Van Helsing. This movie sucks in every way, no pun intended. If you're looking to spend your money on a decent film, definately look elsewhere. This should go in your "not even if it's free" category!

------------------
Gojira

Old 01-02-00, 03:13 AM

As a fan of vampire movies, I'd have to say I wish I'd rented this first. It had a dumb story, poor special effects, and mis-casting. The commentary makes it bearable, anything to avoid that dialogue and "acting".

I like Casper van Dien (Starship Troopers), but this was one lame movie.

I also have Dracula, Prince of Darkness, a 1965 Hammer Film, and it is much better than Modern Vampires. The commentary track is very good, with the cast reminiscing about production, although Christopher Lee talks non-stop for about 1/2 hour.

Also, The Night Flier, based on Stephen King's short story is better. If it weren't on DVD it wouldn't be worth as much, but it's got the best chapter stop animations I've seen and great music for the menus. The story, effects and acting are acceptable but no more than that.