DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Payback is nonstop.

Old 12-25-99, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got Payback with Mel Gibson for Chistsmas and boy is it a good movie. It is as good as Bullit, Dirty Harry, or French Connection. Yeah it's pretty violent so put the kids to bed. It was nice to watch an action film with more than special effects to hold my interest.
Greg
Old 12-25-99, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really liked this movie as well. It
certainly wasn't for the kiddies. Mel was
excellent.

Jason
Old 12-26-99, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As good as The French Connection??? I think not. This is a very mediocre movie. Worth a rental if you're bored.
Old 12-26-99, 04:13 AM
Banned

I'd have to agree with The Zizz. Disappointing.
Old 12-26-99, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you like "Payback", maybe you should rent "Point Blank" (not the one with Keanu Reeves. This one was directed by John Boorman and stars Lee Marvin.) Both movies were based on the same book. Though I still wouldn't consider "Point Blank" to be a great movie, it's far superior to "Payback" I don't think it's available on DVD yet, but it's worth a video rental.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 12-27-99, 03:09 AM

OK so it's not a classic, but it has got a harder edge much like those '70 films I mentioned. It's not Lethal Weapon series or Beverly hills Cop and other west coast shoot 'em ups. It wasn't as deep as some of the '70s film, that was a unique time in movie making. Payback was good entertainment and I liked it. It was non stop!
Old 12-27-99, 03:45 AM

Point Blank is written by Richard Stark, a pen name for Donald Westlake. Parker the original character in the series of books is a complex thief/hero.I am so tired of these type of cardboard cut-out movies.
Old 12-27-99, 02:35 PM

I enjoyed Payback as well. It was nice to see Mel Gibson playing a bad guy. He should do this more often as his preformance was very good. And Lucy Lui in this movie - good enough for my collection.

------------------
Go Colts!
Old 12-27-99, 05:26 PM

gotdvd? - I would even go see that new movie with Woody Harrelson and Antonio Banderas because Lucy is in it. Meeeeee Yowwwww!!!

------------------
"Oh, I don't know...play chess...screw..."
"Well, let's play chess"

www.dvdtracker.com/~chapstik
Old 12-27-99, 08:27 PM

chapstik:

Yeah me too. I knew that was her in the TV spot I saw for Play it to the Bone.
Old 12-27-99, 11:59 PM

In Pearl's own words "Huba Huba". Her role in Payback made me forget all about that Allie McBeal stuff. It was a pleasure seeing her "Work".
Greg
Old 12-28-99, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's been awhile since I saw this, but I remember I had a good time. Not your typical movie with Mel Gibson as the lead, but it worked. I enjoyed his character and the violence was cool.

Paramount did a nice job with this DVD. The transfer is anamorphic and the DD 5.1 is pretty good. I like the style that this movie was shot in . . . with the bluish tint to it . . . very cool.

[This message has been edited by needlz (edited 12-27-1999).]
Old 12-28-99, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This movie wasn't very good. I was trying very hard not to fall asleep during it.

I did not like the music, the voiceover is becoming more and more annoying every time I see it used in a movie(along with actors talking directly to the camera), and I felt Mel Gibson should not have been in this. A non-Hollywood star would have been much better, I thought.

One thing I did like was the cinematography, and how the whole movie had a very dark, bleak, unpleasant look to it. The direction was good as well I thought, with some pretty neat shots. One that comes to mind is when Mel is lying on the ground after being shot and the camera is sideways and you see the car drive off behind him.

It was really very stupid and unbelievable to see this character who doesn't care about anyone and will do anything to get money, turn down the chance to make a lot of money by having Johnny hostage. Instead he chose to take only $70,000 and wouldn't even take the $130,000 when he could have got even more. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Nosebleed

[This message has been edited by Nosebleed (edited 12-27-1999).]
Old 12-28-99, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I enjoyed this film very much. Film noir is my favorite genre, and the voice-over and dialogue lent much to the feel of the movie being derivative of its' 1940's inspirations. Of course, the film is updated for the 90's with the appropriate level of violence and sex, and has some of Mel Gibson's trademark comedic touches as well. James Coburn was great in the movie, although I thought Kris Kristopherson was a poor casting choice.

Nosebleed, Mel's character was all about integrity and a thief's sense of honor. He was completely uninterested in the amount of money he received, it was the principle of being double-crossed that he was fighting against.

I liked the film as a rental, and am looking to do a trade to add it to the collection.

------------------
Glenn's DVD List

[This message has been edited by Glenn Glass (edited 12-28-1999).]
Old 12-28-99, 02:27 PM

Very cool movie with a very very dark style. This isn't like any other Mel Gibson movies.
Old 12-28-99, 02:29 PM

The DVD itself isn't as good as I expected though. Sorry, I forgot to throw that in.
Old 12-28-99, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it quite a bit, it was a solid movie. I guess what I liked best was the camerawork and the color scheme - it was different and striking. The believability isn't an issue for me as this is somewhat of a cartoonish tale anyway.

Wow though, a hell of a lot of people had to die over that $70,000. This movie is a little bit morally reprehensible even if it was fun.