Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any Lone Star reviews online?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Any Lone Star reviews online?

Old 12-20-99, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or would anyone here care to tell me how the video quality is?
Old 12-22-99, 09:35 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

As soon as it shows up, I'd be happy to ... I've been eagerly awaiting the DVD. I loved it on the big screen (I don't remember the image being spectacular or anything.) It's a shame "Fargo" got all the pub that year ... "Lone Star" was by far a better film. I was impressed with the story, and also with the refreshing (and real) way it addressed race issues.

Chris Cooper is a quietly astonishing actor.

Noel

------------------
MY DVDs: A study in addiction
THE FAKE NEWS: An e-zine for NORM MACDONALD fans

Old 12-23-99, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have to disagree with Lone Star being a FAR better film than Fargo--I thought they were the best 2 films of that year, respectively, but I don't think that one was clearly better than the other--they were very different.

It is a shame that very few people saw Lone Star (Most people didn't see Fargo, either). I missed it in the theater, but loved in when I saw it on tape (tape? Yuck.)
Old 12-23-99, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is out on DVD...Reel sent it to me in error on an order I just received. Trying to decide whether to keep it or send it back. I am very interested in others' opinions of how good of a movie it is....is it a rewatchable flick? From a couple of reviews I've seen, it sounds slow moving/draggy. Is this true?
Old 12-23-99, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I LOVE the film, but I'm sure it's possible you won't. Santa brought me a copy, but I think I convinced her to let me open it early hehehe
Old 12-23-99, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Zizz is right on the ball this time. I too felt without question that "Lone Star" and "Fargo" were the best films of the year (Francis McDormand scores twice!). I had already been a serious John Sayles fan before "Lone Star" came out, and after seeing it felt he had made his best film yet. Hopefully my copy from Reel will be here today or tomorrow. I certainly can`t wait.
As for rewatchability, are you kidding? This film gets BETTER each time you watch it. With filmmakers like Sayles you get a film so richly detailed that one viewing is certainly not enough.
Old 12-23-99, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wish Warner had the sense to produce extras for films that truly justify them such as Lone Star (I wish I could hear a John Sayles commentary on it) instead of their new crap, like Wild Wild West.
Old 12-27-99, 09:21 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I stand by my assertion that Fargo pales in comparison to the majesty of Lone Star. Finally got my disc from Reel today. Such joy. For the fella that was worried LS would be slow moving ... it is ... Lone Star slowly unwinds before your eyes. If you're looking for splash, go elsewhere, but if you want thoughtful story telling ... you can't miss with Mr. Sayles' picture.

------------------
MY DVDs: A study in addiction
THE FAKE NEWS: An e-zine for NORM MACDONALD fans