Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Indie Collector's Pack

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Indie Collector's Pack

Old 11-30-99, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone mention the specs of the Indie Collector's Pack (Matewan/Traveller/Breaking the Waves)? Are they letterboxed? How's the picture and sound quality? Thanks.
Old 11-30-99, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got this from Reel last night.

First, the box comes with a bonus CD of the Traveller soundtrack. Cool.

I was a bit disappointed to see that Traveller and Matewan are NOT letterboxed. (Breaking the Waves is LBX -- 1.85:1).

I've only watched Traveller so far, but I found it to be an adequate disc. Not bad, but not great either. The picture is a bit soft (and again, not LBX), but overall it is fine. Sound is 2.0, with no apparent flaws. It includes the trailer (which IS letterboxed!?!) and a detailed production history. I haven't seen the other two films yet.

I can definitely recommend this set as a way to get 3 fairly obscure films (and a CD!) for a great price. Just don't expect jaw-dropping picture or sound quality.

Old 12-04-99, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the set just to get "Matewan". I was really disappointed this wasn`t widescreen. Nevertheless, video quality is pretty good. Nothing stunning, but not bad. Audio quality is not very good at all. It`s mono, which is the way it was originally filmed, and there`s a good bit of hiss.
Still, this is a great film with a wonderful cast and I`m glad Artisan released it, even if it did deserve better treatment than this.
Old 12-08-99, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... and I got this set for the only one I really wanted to own - BREAKING THE WAVES. This is a fabulous film, but not for everybody.

Contrary to the box, the disc is in the correct 2.35 aspect ratio. The film was I recall shot on 16mm and often looked unappealing. That is the case here, but the sharpness of some shots indicate its not really the fault of the transfer.

Elsewhere I read online that the image was a slight improvement on Criterion's OOP LD.

Matewan and Traveller are undistinguished full frame presentations. The bonus CD looks like it might be worthwhile though...

Bleddyn