Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Harryhausen fans must buy 7th Voyage of Sinbad

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Harryhausen fans must buy 7th Voyage of Sinbad

Old 12-01-99, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This one would be worth the price even if it only was the hour-long documentary narrated by Leonard Nimoy. It has lengthy clips of every movie Harryhausen worked on, as well as all that rare unfinished dinosaur work that has shown up before on Criterion laserdiscs and "Aliens, Dragons, Monsters and Me" by Lumivision. The difference is that all that extra stuff, much of which I believe was in grainy black and white when I saw it before, has all been restored and looks fantastic in full color. I don't know how they did it! I've never seen such care in supplemental footage before. Columbia rocks! It's great that they'll be realeasing more of these movies on DVD, because the clips are so much clearer than the Harryhausen films I have in my laserdisc collection.
Old 12-01-99, 03:56 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't had a chance to work through the extras on my copy yet, but even the insert looks great!

But does anyone remember which Sinbad movie had the villianess who turned herself into a bird, and ended up with a bird's foot when she ran out of her potion? I thought it was the 7th Voyage, but upon watching parts of the movie, I find I was apparently wrong.

------------------
-David
Old 12-01-99, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blade, I think that one was Sinbad & Eye of the Tiger, but I could be wrong. I used to get Golden Voyage of Sinbad confused with 7th Voyage too. I just had to keep going okay , note to self: 7th has the stuff I like, i.e. a skeleton and the cyclops. Jason and the Argonauts is the best one all around, however.
Old 12-01-99, 05:20 PM
Uber Member

kunert,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess I'll just have to buy both the Tiger and Golden Voyage DVDs when they become available!

Is Jason worth owning on DVD, or do you think they'll do a special edition on this one?

------------------
-David
Old 12-01-99, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've read that Columbias transfer on Jason is excellent and 16x9, and theres a short making-of that I have no knowledge of. Personally, I could not justify getting it since I have the Criterion laserdisc with an audio commentary with Harryhausen, something he has never done again. I doubt there will be another reissue anytime soon, and I bet Criterion has long since lost the rights, but who knows?
Old 12-02-99, 02:02 AM
Uber Member

kunert,

Stories like this almost make me wish I'd gotten into this when LDs were popular.

Oh well. Maybe if I put it on my Want list I'll get it for Christmas.

------------------
-David
Old 12-02-99, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey blade, I went through a lot of my old Harryhaussen collection last night. I was a little disappointed to discover that in some cases, the collection of trailers on the new DVD aren't as clean and restored as the same trailers on previous Criterion laserdisc releases. Weird. But all the other actual film footage including the "Elementals" and "Evolution" test footage in the documentary is definitely the best quality that they have ever been presented in. He must have recently found some reels in his attic. It's kind of funny and endearing how like any person in his eighties, he tells the same stories over and over in many different interviews on all the discs I've got.

Oh, and remember in Golden Voyage, that really really creepy tiny bat-gargoyle thing that slowly comes to life and does that shriek? Reminds me of the live-action bat in Bride of Re-animator. Would give a kid nightmares.
Old 12-02-99, 06:00 PM
Uber Member

Didn't see Bride, but you can't help but be amazed at the "life" he seemed to be able to breathe into his creations.

I wonder if the lower quality of the DVD trailers might not be a result of the greater image detail DVDs are capable? I've read many reviews that said flaws that were barely noticeable on a LD were more obvious on the DVD release.

Or it could just be that the trailer source has deteriorated since the LD and they didn't restore it.

------------------
-David