Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Army of Darkness: LE Review

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Army of Darkness: LE Review

Old 10-13-99, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there anyone besides me that is a little(or a lot) dissapponted with this set?
Having said that I am still very happy to finally have this in my collection. The Director's Cut version is well... the sad part.

The Director's Cut Disc:

While It's great to have a legitimate copy of this, the final version is a surpirsingly bad. I have a copy of The Sci-Fi Channel broadcast(which is the director's cut with one of the deleted scenes and the theatrical ending added for time) and the video quality is much better! The added scenes were defintely taken from another source(which is confirmed on the commentary), but it seems they were taken from work prints. That's how bad they are. The new stuff and the quality are jarring and quite distracting. No wonder they don't have this version THX certified. I prefer to watch this with the commentary and the storyboard comparison on much like I watch the "Love Conquers All" version of Brazil. I like the deleted footage though and wish they kept the original opening. I just wish they took the care that they put into Halloween's Television version into this one especially since it is the Director's Cut. The commentary is a the saving grace though. Bruce Campbell, Sam Raimi, and Ted Raimi(who shows up at chapter 11) are very funny and interesting to listen to. Sam is much better then he was in Elite's Evil Dead commentary. In fact, he's much funnier then Bruce, but Bruce does keep the commentary moving along. All in all, It's great to have this but, the transfer hurt it a lot.

The Theatrical cut:

I guess the THX certification is on this version since this is the one that they sell separately. I hope that's the reason, if not then they should have reversed that train of thought. Never the less, the transfer and sound are top notch. I never got the Universal disc since I knew they were releaseing this set so I can't really compare. It's a great looking transfer, but nothing mind blowing. I hoped there was a commentary on this one(even though Campbell and Raimi wouldn't do one for this version, they could have gotten others) since it is the better transfer. It has a featurette on the KNB F/X crew that worked on the film. It's funny, but I wish that there was more imput from Sam and Bruce. They also have the original ending which is worthless for those who have the LE set(since it's the ending of the Director's Cut).

All in all I still love this set. Despite it's shortcomings it remains an invaluable addition to Evil Dead fans. Now only Evil Dead II to go...

3 out of 4 stars
Old 10-13-99, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a damn good set. I give it 3 1/2 stars out of 4.

[This message has been edited by THX 1138 (edited 10-13-1999).]
Old 10-14-99, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't received my AOD: LE yet from Amazon.com. However, I was really disappointed to discover that neither of the two discs have the theatrical ending. The theatrical release should have the S-Mart ending. It only makes sense. Of course, Anchor Bay probably decided that since they are releasing the theatrical version seperately, they would include the same disc in the LE set. However, since the Director's Cut has the same ending, people who like the S-Mart ending are left to get the original Universal disc or--horrors!--keep their VHS copy. I, for one, think this sucks...
Old 10-14-99, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Theatrical Cut does have the S-Mart ending. The original Director's Cut ending is included on the disc as a supplement. I guess it's for those who only bought the single disc release so they can see the difference.
Old 10-14-99, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cereal-Killer: Thanks a lot for the reply! Now I know that my S-Mart ending is intact. Whew!

I've looked forward to the original "depressing" ending for at least four years when I saw it offered on bootleg VHS in a catalog. I passed on the tape because of the reported poor quality of the bootleg.

When I first heard reports of the AOD: LE DVD set, I was happy, then disappointed because of the loss of S-Mart. Now that I know that both endings are present, I'm relieved. Anyone want to buy my VHS copy of AOD?
Old 10-14-99, 10:36 PM

Yep, I too was massively dissapointed in the quality of the added scenes to the director's cut. Not only are the new shots bad, usually any scene or sequence of scenes with new shots is terrible. Like, the whole final battle at the castle just looks awful. It is dark and murky, and has a lot of 'fuzz' (for lack of a better term) over it. I guess this is the best they could do...

Anyone else like the theatrical release better, anyway? Sure, the ending is disjointed, but it sure is funny ("I'm Ash, housewares", "All hail the King, baby"). And a lot of the added stuff in the director's cut just makes the movie drag. I think that Raimi had a lot of input in the theatrical release and likes it more than he lets on now, and just threw the director's cut out there because he could.

And the commentary is nowhere close to as good as the Bruce Campbell one on Evil Dead. But then, how could it be? That one is a masterpiece, and this one is quite funny, too.

Final question, did anyone wonder just why in the Hell Ash would want to go back to his time? He had the girl, he was a hero, he coulda done anything he wanted back in the past, yet he wanted to come back to the future so he could continue being a loser clerk at "S-Mart"? No way...
Old 10-15-99, 01:53 AM
Cool New Member

I was thinking the same thing at the end of the movie-Why would he want to come back to his time when he had the babe and could rule in that time period.
After watching both discs, the theatrical version seemed to flow better-the director's cut dragged in some parts, especially the main battle scene towards the end. Both endings have their own merits but the theatrical one is pretty funny("Come get some"). And I do like the interaction between Bruce and Sam in the commentary.
Old 10-15-99, 02:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AOD Director's Cut was a better film than the studio cut.
Old 10-15-99, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Slight disappointment here too with the picture quality. Interesting, Cereal Killer, what you said about the broadcast on the Sci-Fi Channel looking better. I rented the import laserdisc a couple years ago and I remember the extra scenes looking better too. Can anyone give a side-by-side comparision? Oh well, I'm glad it's available at a reasonable price anyway. I like the interaction on this commentary, but Bruce alone on Evil Dead had me rolling. Sam Rami alone made me sleepy.

------------------
Old 10-18-99, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did anyone notice any speckling on the theatrical release? I thought I saw some during the scene where Ash and the soldiers approach the graveyard for the first time (You know, where he says he knows the Damn words).

I'm hoping my DVD player isn't becoming dirty or anything.