Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Romancing The Stone & Jewel Of The Nile Sub-Par Audio

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Romancing The Stone & Jewel Of The Nile Sub-Par Audio

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-99, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished watching Romancing The Stone & Jewel Of The Nile and I must say that this is one of the..if not the worst audio tracks I have heard on DVD (for a big time movie). These were two pretty big Hollywood films and I am really dissapointed with the poor audio. I realize it was only a Dolby Surround audio DVD but most other DVD's that have Dolby Surround had a much more full sound. I also don't know why they didn't remaster this in DD 5.1 again as this is a big hollywood film it deserves better treatment. The video was not much better either which leads me to the assumption that this was a rush job to get this out. I just hope they have plans for SE version with a much more quality tranfer and DD 5.1 remastering.
Old 10-11-99, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Frank, I agree. They could have done so much more with these movies. I did not get Jewel yet but always loved Romancing. The only real advantage over the VHS is the widescreen format vs. Pan and Scan. I actually kept checking my rear speakers, I thought they were not working.

------------------
What's a videotape?
www.dvdtracker.com/~schrader.asp

Old 10-11-99, 11:11 AM
classícman

I, for one, consider a vastly improved video rendition of the movie to be a major advantage.

Old 10-15-99, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with classicman. While the audio in Romancing the Stone wasn't particularly good (especially in the opening sequence) and definitely should have been remastered in 5.1 (heck, if they're going to do Nightmare on Elm Street and Excalibur, why not RTS??), the video (while containing a fair amount of shimmering) is LIGHTYEARS ahead of any VHS (or LD) version of this film. Just check out the trailer to see how bad the film COULD have looked.

--Apparition